Answering the phone?

Cooking, finances, shopping and any regular tasks that are challenging

Moderator: Moderator Team

Desert Rose
Regular Poster

Answering the phone?

Postby Desert Rose » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:45 pm

Am I the only person here who's cautious about answering the telephone? Especially if I don't recognise the number which is most of the time. I don't really like using phones that much especially if it's to talk to someone I don't already know that well, it creates anxiety in me as I'm never quite sure what to say and really struggle to find the right words and properly address the question. A number of people have pointed out that they've seen me shaking when making phone calls. Is this commonly experienced amongst dyspraxics or am I just being ridiculous?

J i m
New member - welcome them!

Re: Answering the phone?

Postby J i m » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:38 pm

I guess I could relate to that in a little way. I used to avoid answering the phone if I could.

However answering phones makes up a large part of my job. So I'm basically over that particular little niggle now.

I still ignore unknown numbers on my personal phone though.
Formerly known here as "Jim" , this is what happens when you forget your forum password and get locked out #-o

Tom fod
Administrator

Postby Tom fod » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:48 am

Desert Rose wrote:Am I the only person here who's cautious about answering the telephone? Especially if I don't recognise the number which is most of the time. I don't really like using phones that much especially if it's to talk to someone I don't already know that well, it creates anxiety in me as I'm never quite sure what to say and really struggle to find the right words and properly address the question. A number of people have pointed out that they've seen me shaking when making phone calls. Is this commonly experienced amongst dyspraxics or am I just being ridiculous?

No one here is going to accuse you of being ridiculous! 8-) There are a variety of reasons why anyone might be nervous about answering the phone at work (or at home). In a business /service there's a much higher degree of on the spot pressure, to take in, process what you are being asked and respond correctly there and then to satisfy the callers requirement(s) or manage their expectations. It's understandably a nightmare scenario fo a lot of people!

Background noise. A busy office and lots of calls and remembering/ensuring follow-up actions are completed/passed on correctly to the right people, all add up to fry our poor brains, especially when we're in unfamilar territory.and or the caller you're speaking to is in a hurry and/or stressed themself.

Similarly, making a call yourself to obtain info or to relay it correctly can be equally stressful. Email and other kinds of messaging are great but sometimes picking up the phone is the best way to get things moving in the right direction.

I think that if you have to do it, you'll hopefully find the fear lessens as you gain confidence.

The Parachute Regiment have a training motto Knowlege Dispels Fear. I think I'd venture that the prospect of falling 40 ft off a climbing frame is too terrifying for me though I've done some advwnturous but not (by my standards 8-) insane stuff.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

AshleyCuneo
New member - welcome them!

Postby AshleyCuneo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:55 am

I know many people ignore unknown numbers on their personal phones! I try to answer unknown numbers! Even if I miss them out, I call back!

otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Postby otis_b_flywheel » Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:57 pm

I agree with most of the above - my last (nearly) full-time job as an employee was in a small open-plan office where 3 - 4 people could be on the phone at the same time - a dyspraxic's nightmare!

I also have problems remembering to phone people, related to short-term memory I think (and perhaps a bit of phone phobia to be honest), and often cause offence as a result.

Regards
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."

darkneo
Getting settled in

Postby darkneo » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:09 pm

Welcome AshleyCuneo !

Yes I do have some trouble with answering the phone or my phone.... I will stutter and say MMM.... and try to say Hello? does anyone else stutter when answering the phone?

Steve.

Return to “Day-to-day living”