Help?...please

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gismo
New member - welcome them!

Help?...please

Post by Gismo »

Hi,
I am making some enquiries for my wife who is dyspraxic and dyslexic - and wonder if someone can help? Three quesions really:
1. Isobel is studying in University of Manchester but because she is only resident in UK since June, 2005 she is not entitled to local authority assistance apparently. Does anyone know whether this is actually the case?...i.e. being resident for less than 3 years, she can get no support for her disability from the local authority?
2. What support should she reasonably expect from the university in her studies? (for example, she cannot always get lecture notes from lecturers which seems incredible!)
3. If she is to get formally diagnosed for dyspraxia (self diagnosed at the moment), can anyone recommend an educational psychologist/neurologist/other means in Manchester (or elsewhere - we'll travel!)

Thanks very much!

O:)
The key is how you react
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

Go to your GP and keep pestering them, they will refer her specifically. Or failing that the University's disabilities adviser will be able to get her to see the psychologists etc on the university campus itself.

I dont mean to sound rude or intrusive but how long have you been in the UK? Because, if you have been in the UK for more than 5 years and the status of your marriage would say that she intends to stay in the UK for many years to come (if not permanently) and this will help with the case against the LA. If they have already refused assistance it can be appealed on those grounds.

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
robyn

Post by robyn »

go to uni student support services, they should refer and pay for an assesment. they do this for all students, and are normally much quicker and better than gps who normally do very little, and on the odd occasions that they do they refer to nuerologists, who frequently fail to diagnose lower levels of dyspraxia that an ed pyschologist would pick up on

they will be able to say whether or not she would be entitled to dsa also

even once I had my statement of needs detailing lecture notes my lecturers never bothered to fulfil this, however the student supoort services put in place extra exam time and a room of my own for sitting exams the minute I had my diagnosis, but before my needs assesment. It may be worthwhile finding out if there is a disability coordinator for her department to provide support if lecturers are uncooperative
Dani
Getting settled in

Post by Dani »

Hiya I've just been diagnosed as dyslexic and dyspraxic by an educational psychologist.
She told me that to get a proper full diagnosis for dyspraxia one would have to see an occupational therapist either from self referral or through a g.p. She reckons an Ed Psych could only diagnose dyspraxic tendancies to do with cognitive ability and not how it affects someone physically. So a trip to an occupational therapist might do you some good too :)

Hope this helps: http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... G_10034898