Meeting People

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Henri
Getting settled in

Meeting People

Post by Henri »

I'm starting a new course soon, and I've just been informed that I'll be getting to know my classmates in the college canteen, a day before the course starts. I'm pretty nervous about this, as I'm quite shy, and I just wondered if anyone has any tips for it. The fact that there's a high probability that I'll be the youngest one there is all the more unsettling.
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

I have the same problem just the otherway round. Im going to be the oldest. Im very nervous, but if you just strike up a conversation about the course itself and go from there. Im sure there will be someone there who is in the same boat with shyness so look out for someone stood alone looking nervy.

Good luck

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

Henri, Im past this stage now and it was so much better than expected, I know you'll be fine. Being that you'll be younger than your classmates you may even find that they take you under their wing a little. Intelligence wise Im older than my true age but emotionally sometimes I still feel 5.

Kirsty
Henri
Getting settled in

Post by Henri »

That's good to hear. Mine went well, there's considerably more age-diversity amongst the class than I expected. Are the majority of people in your class younger? I was in that position last year, when I went back to college to do a BTEC.
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

Everyone is younger, i hold the title for being the oldest person in the room besides the lecturer lol

Kirsty