Numeracy tests for teaching and social worker courses

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

catwoman
Getting settled in

Numeracy tests for teaching and social worker courses

Post by catwoman »

Dear all.
Im on a mission to make numeracy tests more accesible for dyspraxic students. they are now part of an entrance course for teaching and social work courses, or are taken before you can get a job teaching in Further Education

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Does this now affect other accademic courses?

This letter of complaint explains what happened.

I am a disabled student who lives with dyspraxia and dyslexia studying on the CELL pathway on the PGCE. I was not consulted about how my access needs were met, which implies that your Disability Equality Duty document is mere lip service for Disabled Students.

Part IV of Disability Discrimination act Further and Higher Education sates that this might include changing examinations procedures, or adapting the physical features of the premises or changing the layout of the classroom to anticipate the needs of students with disabilities.

I was not made aware that we would be expected to use fine motor skills by dropping and dragging objects, working out calculations under a time limit and using a calculator which did not work properly. The most discriminatory part was the aural test which relied on language processing, mental arithmetic and short term memory. Therefore I was unable to state my access needs. I have not decided yet if I am going to take the matter further with the Disability Rights Commission as I am a member of the DRC Advice and Action Group on Neurodiversity and Autism.

Although I am usually a calm and serene person and I have coped well with the pressure and workload on the PGCE and achieved a high standard of work and teaching, the whole situation of the numeracy test caused me so much stress and anxiety that my condition became worse during the test. I was not able to function to complete the test causing dyslexia stress and neurodiverse meltdown. I had an emotional outburst and had to leave the room so I was so anxious and agitated that I forgot to print off the result of the few questions I managed to answer.

The test was also invigilated in a manner which reminded me of my schooldays in the 1970s and was very autocratic towards my peers who were also under considerable stress whether they were disabled students or non-disabled students.

This was a very negative experience for my last day on the PGCE and goes against my own principles as my academic experience is from a community and youth work perspective which challenges anti-oppressive practices, and furthermore everything that my Tutor Joe Whittaker has taught me about community education life long learning and inclusive education.
Janet Taylor
http://www.daa.colsal.org.uk (Greater Manchester Dyspraxia Adult Action)
http://www.dyspraxia-training.co.uk (DIT Business site)
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

I have always had dyscalculia, but was labelled as stupid all through school and college because of my inability to grasp anything numerical, even though I did excel in the sciences (until maths came into it). I have recently been told that maths problems are also caused by dyspraxia, maybe I have always been just thick????!!!!!

Kirsty.........
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
niamhr
New member - welcome them!

Re: Numeracy tests for teaching and social worker courses

Post by niamhr »

Hi

I am currently applying to do a PGCE in Nottingham and I have found out that i have to do thesse skills test . I am finding the very difficuklt . Do you have advice you can give me

niamh
holleee
New member - welcome them!

Re: Numeracy tests for teaching and social worker courses

Post by holleee »

Hi there,

I'm also experiencing the same problem. After my degree I want to do a PGCE but the numeracy skills test is completely putting me off, as I know that there is no way I will be able to do it. I don't have a GCSE in maths either so I don't really know why I'm applying because I know that I won't be accepted. Are you guys feeling this too?