Why are people so mean

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

cricketman123
Getting settled in

Why are people so mean

Post by cricketman123 »

Why are people on here so mean. I posted about me having friends that are 16-18 year old girls on yahoo. They are in my group, I go to college. I have been on a trip abroad with them so what is wrong with actually being kind and hanging out with them when they didn't even have a problem.

What do people expect me to do, Quit College!? No I am not quitting college, I have had a very hard childhood, I have had to have several operations, I have had to cope with my grandfather and all of that made me fall a bit being my peers. I am 25, i started college 5 years ago, I started at entry 3 skills for working life and now onto a level 3 course and moving on to level 3 year two next year. I want to go to UNI after that. I am quitting Yahoo now, and all the other internet forums. People can be so judgmental and think just because I spent time with them I somehow want to get in their pants. Well reality check. I dont! I have a future I want to meet new a different people I want to experience new things. Volunteer for places like camp america and have a good job. I want a part time job this summer to save up to driving lessons.

Nothing is wrong with what I want and what I do and i wish people stopped being so judgmental as they don't even know me
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Why are people so mean

Post by Tom fod »

Sadly people are often very cynical and can and will make on the spot judgements. Whilst your intentions are to hang out with your friends from college (who just happen to be younger and female). Sadly far too many will generally view a 25yr old guy hanging out with younger females as due to his having the wrong sort of intentions,because they’re jealous and/or that’s how they’d be thinking.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
cricketman123
Getting settled in

Post by cricketman123 »

thanks tom.
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

cricketman123 wrote:Why are people on here so mean. I posted about me having friends that are 16-18 year old girls on yahoo. They are in my group, I go to college. I have been on a trip abroad with them so what is wrong with actually being kind and hanging out with them when they didn't even have a problem.

What do people expect me to do, Quit College!? No I am not quitting college, I have had a very hard childhood, I have had to have several operations, I have had to cope with my grandfather and all of that made me fall a bit being my peers. I am 25, i started college 5 years ago, I started at entry 3 skills for working life and now onto a level 3 course and moving on to level 3 year two next year. I want to go to UNI after that. I am quitting Yahoo now, and all the other internet forums. People can be so judgmental and think just because I spent time with them I somehow want to get in their pants. Well reality check. I dont! I have a future I want to meet new a different people I want to experience new things. Volunteer for places like camp america and have a good job. I want a part time job this summer to save up to driving lessons.

Nothing is wrong with what I want and what I do and i wish people stopped being so judgmental as they don't even know me
People on the Internet tend to have their Ids manifest themselves in force. That is to say - people posting on the Internet appear to be far less receptive to how their words may be construed my other parties. I am sure this is due to how important non-verbal interactions are in general. If you upset somebody in the real world, their reaction is distinctive and somewhat upsetting for both people, assuming the bully isn't a sociopath. Please don't take words on the Internet to heart - people just post what ever is in their head, their stream of consciousness pouring into the cracks in our consciousness, burying themselves and growing in intensity subconsciously. It's important to try and put these things in perspective, when one can, but I totally understand your decision to leave Yahoo, and it's probably for the best.

I initially thought you meant that the people on this forum were mean, and I was taken aback, so it was a relief to see that it was an external site. Many places do not have sufficient moderation by anybody's standards, so vitriol and bile can permeate the mantle of our persona and hurt something fierce. I hope this was helpful, at least to some degree. Good luck on your future endeavours.
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

you're right, 100% correct. we live in a very cynical world. as long as you know that you are not doing anything wrong, don't worry about what others think. particularly when they are strangers.