Immaturity

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

poodlelover81
Getting settled in

Immaturity

Postby poodlelover81 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi there,
I'm not sure which category this falls into. I just noticed how immature I am compared to others of the same age. I went to college, but only went to explore my sexuality & if I might be bi( as I wasn't out yet in high school). I graduated 1 year and a half ago, and I can barely remember an assignment I did. Perhaps I could never find the alcohol-life balance that many did. And now I'm looking at my American student loans with no idea what job I might do to pay them back. I graduated in communications if that helps. Anyone feel they are immature or childish when it comes to doing real-world things? How can I figure out what job I might be in? Because right now it feeels as if the weight of the world is on my shoulders.

Ram
Power poster

Re: Immaturity

Postby Ram » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:28 pm

poodlelover81 said:

I'm not sure which category this falls into. I just noticed how immature I am compared to others of the same age. I went to college, but only went to explore my sexuality & if I might be bi( as I wasn't out yet in high school). I graduated 1 year and a half ago, and I can barely remember an assignment I did. Perhaps I could never find the alcohol-life balance that many did. And now I'm looking at my American student loans with no idea what job I might do to pay them back. I graduated in communications if that helps. Anyone feel they are immature or childish when it comes to doing real-world things? How can I figure out what job I might be in? Because right now it feeels as if the weight of the world is on my shoulders.

From my perespective as a 50 something male, you don't sound particularly immature for someone who is only in her mid 20s. Quite franky, when I'd finished college, I couldn't remember much in the way of assignments I'd done a few months previously. And virtually all of my class mates were in the same boat. So you needn't feel ashamed that you're like this.

I also don't remember many people having a good alcohol work balance as students. Heck, even some of my current colleagues who are in their 40s and 50s don't have that! So you have nothing to apologise for on that front!

It sounds as if you're trying to sort your life out and are taking a good look at yourself. In doing so, you're probably being a bit hard on yourself. But the fact you're trying to sort your life out shows you are neither immature nor childish.

skyebison
Getting settled in

Re: Immaturity

Postby skyebison » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:49 am

Hi Poodle, I won't address the maturity part as Ram already gave a good reply.

I'll address the student loan and job part if you are interested in my input. (Source, I'm 29, have a "useful degree," "good job," and $22k USD student loan debt).

Student Loans: If they are federal student loan you have all sorts repayment options - differed payments, income base repayments, etc. Definitely look into these. Of course paying some is better than paying none if you can afford it. I actually owe a little more than I initially borrowed because of interest - the payments I could afford the first several years out of college did not keep up with interest, I'm just now starting to make traction. Again, even if you can only afford to pay some of the interest, that's better than none of the interest, it compounds quickly!!

Looking for a Job, Part 1 - Prep First order of business, if you do not already know how to write a resume and cover letter, and how to interview, look for resources. Your university's alumni center or your county should have resources. Google things near you. A local library or community center might even have a program. Remember to make it individual to each job you apply for. Try to show a way your existing skills and experience could be useful to the company you're applying to.

Looking for a Job, Part 2 - What do I do with my useless degree? The fact that you even have a degree makes it not useless. Go to a job search website (In the US indeed.com is pretty good). For the search term, don't necessarily put your degree, put something you're good at or wouldn't mind doing. You'll be surprised at the type of things that pop up. Many of them say "requires a 4 year degree" even if it's not really something you need a degree to actually do. For example, I just searched "communications" and "St. Louis, MO" (random example, no idea where you live) and several postings are coming up, not all of which are necessarily related, but several of which require a degree. Bonus Tip: If you're feeling adventurous, leave the search term section blank and just see all the weird interesting things that come up. If something suits your fancy, apply!

Just my thoughts, take 'em or leave 'em. If anyone more experienced than me at jobs/life/finance has something to add or correct go for it!

Return to “Studying”