Masters in Tax

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

NotTheWipple
New member - welcome them!

Masters in Tax

Post by NotTheWipple »

Hi all,

Don't know if anyone has any advice or not. More just sounding my frustration.

I am sitting my final exam to obtain my masters in tax three weeks time, and am starting to fall apart a bit.

In the precursor exams over the last year or so, I have consistently performed at the highest of my class - consistently getting either 98% or 99% in the final exams.

However, this final exam requires me to write a highly researched letter of advice in advance of the exam (which keeping my focus and research en point is tough), and then in the exam I will have three hours to change my advice based on a change of scenario.

It is just tough as I have little support from the workplace, friends and family. I am not one to moan and make a noise about my condition, but I feel this may be a bridge to far for me.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Masters in Tax

Post by Tom fod »

Don't forget that you can afford to be a rightly proud of what you've achieved so far. I can only try to imagine the amount of work and study this has entailed.

Is it possible that your progress has so amazed family, friends and colleagues, that they haven't necessarily fully understood how much you've had to put in and the strain you're feeling. Its quite possible that those who know you may have read your exam scores as an indication that everything is ticking along nicely for you, and as such have little comprehension of the bigger picture?

Take care
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
NotTheWipple

Post by NotTheWipple »

Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone is particularly interested in the fallout of this, but results are in and... I passed (with merit)!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

It will probably be followed by my resignation but still, not a bad outcome!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It's a great outcome, Congratulations and thanks for updating us. All the best with whatever you choose to do.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Ditsy

Post by Ditsy »

Congratulations what an achievement!
NotTheWipple

Post by NotTheWipple »

Thanks guys.

I don't mean to sound like an idiot for saying this, but it was all the better after two of my colleagues taking it also failed - My boss then said that I "obviously chose the easier question". So, a bit of pride there.

I quit days after the results after promises that were made were not kept - so I am hoping to start my own practice in the new year!
angelodan

Post by angelodan »

Give us an update on how you're doing with your own practice at the moment, if possible. For those wondering what does it mean to have a master in tax degree, it basically prepares people to work on both the theoretical and technical aspects of taxes, usually for businesses and other large organizations. In general, a master's program takes two years to complete at a full-time pace. Still, having this degree doesn't guarantee success. I've met a guy with a master in tax degree who had no idea how to lock a pdf file. Had to show him [Illegal URL removed by Admin and details passed to HMRC Fraud Investigations] in order to avoid any headaches trying to explain it myself.
Last edited by Tom fod on Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Illegal URL removed
kimbedly

Post by kimbedly »

Yeah, that would be great!