Prom experiences please?

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Teejaye98
Getting settled in

Prom experiences please?

Post by Teejaye98 »

Here are the facts.

I am in major pain from a breakup. This boy was my first love and the man I was planning to go to prom with.
I do not want to go to prom. Not even a bit. This is not because of my break up. Although yes, I think going to prom will be painful because of it.
I hate dressing up, I've gone to several dances, and I hate them as well. Causes nothing but anxiety, have no fun at all.
I haven't bought a ticket yet- tomorrow is the last day, prom is in 3 days. I have no dress, as I was so sure I wasn't going, but people got into my head and are trying to convince to go either way - however, they all have dates, and I don't drink or party (after parties out of the question)

In my opinion, prom is a popularity contest. I am not popular. I have hated high school and want to be out, to start uni.

My question is - did you go to prom? How was it? is it worth going, or is the term "you will regret if you don't go, it will be one of the best experiences of your life" the truth?

I don't think I will regret but people are making such a big deal that is hard to make a decision for myself. I don't think going for friends is a good enough reason to go. Apparently people who didn't go usually don't regret it.

Thoughts? I know this is a loaded question.
Last edited by Tom fod on Mon May 23, 2016 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: No need for 'Where do I put this?' In here is just fine 8-)
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Prom experiences please?

Post by Tom fod »

It's ironic you feeling indecisive about something which you don't feel you'll be able to enjoy but still have doubts, even after offering some very valid excuses for not going. I can't remember if there was a leavers disco (yeah I am that old eek!) and the very idea of one scares me too!

I hope your posting and getting it out on screen has helped you to make the right decision for you. Hopefully someone else will have a much better insight than me.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Teejaye98
Getting settled in

Post by Teejaye98 »

Update: I've decided not to go. It's all after parties and drinking and that's not me. Ready to live it up in university next year and leave my past behind.
A lot less stress on me now :)
RobertoYeah
New member - welcome them!

Post by RobertoYeah »

I went and I didn't have a date but most of my friends didn't either so it was fine.
Primoris
New member - welcome them!

Post by Primoris »

I didn't go to my Prom, blew it off as I didn't like the majority of people there.

Uni is by far much better and the best place to make friends!
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

I never had to face this problem, as our year group doing GCSE years ago never had a prom evening (thank goodness) dont think I was one of the most popular students in the year group. The closest thing was the GCSE certifcate evening in December 2000 and possibly was the final chance our the year group being together with our form tutors for the last time (okay our parents came to see us our certifcates) but what would have finished off in style were being able to go into the form rooms were in.

Looking back now there would have been the transport cost (i.e limo with four of my friends) the suit, the course of the venue, the meal which we had to pre order which would have been either chicken or beef, with some veg and vegan choice, getting back home.

I dont like dressing up, when we been on cruises and it has been the captains night we got dress up, but straight after the meal whatever we have ordered we have gone back to the cabin to get changed. plus the rest opf the time on the cruise just normal shirt, trousers and shoes which is not too bad.
Last edited by Philip on Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
michele
Getting settled in

Post by michele »

I knew I was a pariah/outsider/freak growing up so I made up a story about dating twins I met at overnight camp and did not go to any of the dances except the graduation one...where I sang Karaoke
"When none of the offfical paths lead you anywhere good there is a simple solution...forget about roads."
OneClumsyDragon
Getting settled in

Post by OneClumsyDragon »

I left my prom equivalent halfway through (6hrs in) because I wasn't loving the nightclub, but the rest of it was good craic and I enjoyed it overall ^-^
All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.
poodlelover81
Getting settled in

Post by poodlelover81 »

Teejaye98,
While I wouldn't say prom is one of the best experiences of your life, I still had fun. I, too wasn't popular but I had a small group of friends from theatre club & art club that I went to prom with. And afterwards I watched like a documentary on T.V. lol. You should still go just for the experience & so in the future, when people talk about their prom experiences you can talk about it