Ways of coping with anxiety?

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

ichiban-no-hime
Getting settled in

Ways of coping with anxiety?

Post by ichiban-no-hime »

I'm starting uni in september, and i know I'm going to have to improve my presentation skills (last time I gave a presentation i was so nervous i fainted)
I also really love singing and want to start performing, but I know anxiety will be a huge issue. Does anyone have any coping mechanisms and ways to boost confidence?
OneClumsyDragon
Getting settled in

Re: Ways of coping with anxiety?

Post by OneClumsyDragon »

ichiban-no-hime wrote:I also really love singing and want to start performing, but I know anxiety will be a huge issue. Does anyone have any coping mechanisms and ways to boost confidence?
Perhaps try joining a choir and do a few solos at first?
All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.
ichiban-no-hime
Getting settled in

Post by ichiban-no-hime »

Even the thought of that makes me feel a lil queasy :S
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It's a hard question to answer as we're all different. If people aren't polite enough to appreciate or even simply accept you they aren't very nice and are best avoided or kept at arms length.

The choir (or drama group) option is good insofar as everyone should be there for a mutual love of singing/performing. Joining a group of like minded people could help you feel less like you're a social outcast and help you connect with people and make new friends. Sometimes facing your fears helps you to discover that some of them are not quite as real as you feared.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)