Open University

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Clumsy
Getting settled in

Open University

Post by Clumsy »

Hi All

Has anybody had any experience of the Open University? I am thinking of undertaking a Philosophy degree, but am unsure as to the level of support I would potentially received. (im also dyslexic)

Has anybody had any recent experiences of this? And also the study hours required per week vs. what was actually required hours per week-wise.

Thanks
ssuma

Re: Open University

Post by ssuma »

Clumsy wrote:Hi All

Has anybody had any experience of the Open University? I am thinking of undertaking a Philosophy degree, but am unsure as to the level of support I would potentially received. (im also dyslexic)

Has anybody had any recent experiences of this? And also the study hours required per week vs. what was actually required hours per week-wise.

Thanks
What kind of support do you think you need? I have never tried distance learning so I don't know what to say of it. I know some people who tried distance learning for a few classes, from what I was told, distance learning allow them to learn in the most part in your own pace which imo, might benefits dyspraxic learners since I notice one of the biggest problem for me in school (which i blamed partly on my dyspraxia) is that I have a tendancy to space out in lectures very often and digest information much slower than the average people. I supposed having distance learning may mitigate such problems?

N.American and European universities offered certain degree of support for people with different types of disabilities. (You probably already know about it) Below is the url I found about OU's disability support.

http://www2.open.ac.uk/study/support/disability

Frankly, everyone learn differently. I advice you to not grow* dependent on disability support. Instead, learn to take advantage of them to reach your own goals. In the end, to prevail, you need to find and develop learning strategies that work for yourself, just like everyone else.