Fast learner, but easily bored

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Fast learner, but easily bored

Post by JamesAnthony91 »

I noticed while studying languages, that as soon as I get a good grasp on what it is I'm meant to be learning, I toss the book with a "good enough for now" type attitude. Idk if I have undiagnosed ADHD or something. I do know that I can hyper-focus sometimes like people with ADHD are meant to be great at, but I also get bored of things easily, can never stay still without feeling trapped(part of why school was a nightmare for me, I would often skip to go for walks when it was warm and sunny out), and I tend to toss aside novels if they don't get to the point VERY quickly. This is what makes me almost entirely incompatible with traditional education, and is therefore part of why I've never pursued a degree. I've always found ways to earn money for myself, very entrepreneurial, but I know that to be taken seriously in certain areas I might need to get a degree.

Since I don't want to take medication to focus(medications do more harm than good, from the looks of certain side effects), I'm not sure how I'd ever go about getting a degree. Understanding the course material is fine, but, having to go to the beat of an organised drum...so not me at all. I'm like those romantic era types(Byron and Shelley) who preferred ditching class to do their own studies while lodging at a University, but to be an actual attending student? HAHAHAHAHAHA...I doubt I'd last without calling everyone out on their being sheep or easily complacent and pointing out that modern education is about molding tax payers rather than critical thinkers. Modern staff would hate me. I know a degree might be important given my scientific interest, BUT, I just don't know if I can fit in with the system. I'm currently working on a blog, am certainly an articulate enough writer to succeed with the blog, so I think I could eventually get a large income from that if I stick with it, BUT, that goes with my chaotic/self reliant personality. I'm beginning to worry I'd only ever get an Honorary Degree. I definitely want to add to the areas of Science and Philosophy, my worry is that without a degree I probably won't be taken seriously, in the scientific arena at least.
Tomtom
Regular Poster

Re: Fast learner, but easily bored

Post by Tomtom »

Hey, I'm quite similar in many ways, I find studying for a protracted period of time impossible, and I'm always doing things impulsively, rather than planning them. Some degrees record some/ all of their lectures, it's something you could look at, I've missed dozens of lectures on my course so far because they're recorded so I can do them in my own time, at my own rate; by the sounds of things, a course with that feature could benefit you :)
OneClumsyDragon
Getting settled in

Post by OneClumsyDragon »

Ooh yeah, I find it so hard to study anything in advance nowadays :(
All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.
JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Post by JamesAnthony91 »

I've noticed that I tend to study better when I'm interested in a subject, so, if you have trouble studying in advance, you might just hate the subject. I'm only going off of my perspective though, I'm not sure if what you study bored you or not. As an example: I decided to learn Japanese because I figured that along with a TELF(Teach English as a Foreign Language) qualification, knowing a few other languages would make it easier to communicate with some students. I actually found learning Japanese fun and can draw certain Japanese numbers after a few days self teaching(the numbers thing took me 20 minutes.) So, that was easy for me. I learned the days of the week, how to ask and tell the time, how to ask for stuff like beers(all that good basic tourist stuff), how to write out the dates in Japanese characters, etc. The reason I was able to learn this stuff within an hour was that I decided it's interesting, so, I'd say do what you're passionate about. I don't know if it's school or college, but, I do know that one advantage of college might be that you get to focus on more of what you enjoy and less of the other crap that you might have to study in Secondary School.
whitedwarf12
New member - welcome them!

Post by whitedwarf12 »

Hello,
As a student at university, in my opinion, dyspraxia should not stop you from applying to study a degree if you want to. And to be honest I think we need less sheep at university and more people who can change things and ask difficult questions. Most good lecturers actively encourage challenging discussions and difficult questions but most students are too shy/too worried about getting it wrong to take advantage of this.

The was a perfect example last week when there was a glaring error in a presentation that had been used for 4 years! and no one told the lecturer it was there, they all just copied it down wrong with looks of confusion on their faces! =D>
JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Post by JamesAnthony91 »

The main problem with me is that I'd hate a structured environment, and I tend to get bored when I feel obliged to learn something. I thrive in chaos, that's the one thing I know.
skyebison
Getting settled in

Post by skyebison »

[redacted]