Thinking of getting a degree

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Thinking of getting a degree

Post by JamesAnthony91 »

I never bothered with University years ago, and therefore spent most of my young adulthood travelling and doing freelance/casual work, being aimless and just being glad to barely avoid being homeless; not that I'd have gotten into University with how my handwriting was(amazingly, there have been students who got all As for the necessary points if given the proper computer aided supports), but I have been giving thought to studying something related to Biology. I love Genetics, Evolutionary Biology and Neuroscience, and I do think that I could possibly do well through grit and determination, becoming a Scientist like I figured I'd probably enjoy years ago, but the only thing that bothers me is taking the exams needed. I don't mean answering the questions, I mean about getting the proper supports needed for my work to be properly graded for the purpose of points. I could try just writing legibly, but, I honestly don't know if I could write fast AND legibly at the same time. If anyone else has experience with this problem, and possible solutions, I would be eternally grateful.
Tomtom
Regular Poster

Re: Thinking of getting a degree

Post by Tomtom »

Hey, JamesAnthony
I'm currently at uni and my handwriting is also pretty poor illegible. As a dyspraxic, I get extra time in exams, which means that I can write slower/neater. In addition, I've been given the opportunity to type my answers on a word processor (I prefer pen and paper more though words seem to flow more naturally to me that way). Most (if not all) universities have a disability service that should cover dyspraxia, so you should also have options like these available to you) :)
Also, I find that my handwriting's legibility is also somewhat proportional to the amount of writing I've done in the last few months, maybe if you're writing notes during lectures, you'll find come exam time, that your writing doesn't need too much extra effort to be legible :)

Go to university- there's no substitute for doing something you actually enjoy in life!! :D
JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Re: Thinking of getting a degree

Post by JamesAnthony91 »

That's true, I'll see what happens, Biology is something I both love and understand intuitively. It's probably because Dyspraxia is linked to systems thinking, it'd be natural to have a talent for a field that involves bringing together parts of a whole.