Programming

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lowri001
New member - welcome them!

Programming

Post by Lowri001 »

I'm studying a degree which is pretty heavy on computer programming, I've been finding it really difficult over the past year or so to get my head around C++ which has been a problem as its the main programming language we use for coursework. Has anyone else had any problems or got any advice? Thanks!
The new luddite
Getting settled in

Re: Programming

Post by The new luddite »

Ah wondeful C you gotta love it :), yeah I always stuggled to still do at times but it is very powerful and kinda the granddady of a lot of modern language syntax.

As far as C++ is concerened I tried to go back to basics a bit I read a lot on plain C to understand the basics of the language, the two books I mostly use are:

[*]The C programing Language Second edition by Brian W Kernighan and Dennis M Ritchie: Its pretty dry and you have to chew throught it but its kinda the defacto refrence and if you want to understand C I have'nt found a better book.

[*] Another good book for beginners is Head first C by David and Dawn Griffith: Its quite learner friendly with lots of examples and piccies.

The second thing I'd do is make sure you have a good grounding in OOP theirs no one book id recommend just read as much as you can, this will help with the C ++ ( or the ++ bit atleast :) ) and stand you in good stead whatever code Monkeying you do.

So those are my suggestions hope they help although I'm no C expert still far happier with good old PHP and JavaScript (which both use C under the hood anyhow #-o :) ).
ALADDIN
Power poster

Re: Programming

Post by ALADDIN »

I was undiagnosed with dyspraxia, in my undergraduate degree in Maths & Computer Science, I found C++ hard.

I think you should do examples.