studying tips

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

farwa123
New member - welcome them!

studying tips

Post by farwa123 »

Hi does anyone have any studying tips for dyspraxics? am really struggling here
danielvi3001

Re: studying tips

Post by danielvi3001 »

Hello there, It may be too late for these suggestions, but here are some just in case. One thing I suggest that I find rather effective is using all my senses when I need to study such as I would read the text that needs to be read, but then go back and listen to the audio lecture I recorded in class if I am not understanding something. I also rewrite the information quite a bit that I find is important such as using flash cards if I need to. But what I strongly suggest is studying and getting your work done a little bit each day to eliminate the feeling of being overwhelmed when you are scrambling to hand in an assignment. Trust me by the time the date is has arrived you will be very prepared. Another thing I strongly suggest is using colored paper and highlighters when studying. This is a great thing to help you remember the link between the information and the color that is being used. Lastly if you are having any trouble with memorizing or understanding the information you are reading, try to break down each paragraph and focus on the main topics of that paragraph and what is it generally saying as you also make a very simple outline doing this. I really hope this helps. I discovered some of these methods about a year ago and I think they are very effective but just remember it is very time consuming and you need to be consistent. As I have Dyspraxia, ADHD and Dyslexia, I understand the what it can be like in trying to figure out the right study strategies that are not giving me the results I would like. If you would like any further information I can refer you a great book I really am confident that will help you if you will consider it.
Danielle
Avon3

Post by Avon3 »

Nice post!
Anna Rose

Post by Anna Rose »

great tips!
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi,

As Danielv says using as many of your senses as possible will stimulate different part of your brain as possible there by helping you learn more effectively.
I Also found using the 20/10 rule really helped me, several studies have shown that just sitting their for hours is'nt an effective way of learning.
Even someone with really good powers of concentration cant hold there attention for more than ~30 mins at a time, most people tend to learn most effectively when they study for approximately 20 minutes followed by ten minute breaks in between.
Also don't try and cram it just doesn't work (not for me at least) I always end up just getting confused and stressed if you have an exam or piece of course work give yourself plenty of time and do it in little bits.

Hope that helps :)
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi,

As Danielv says using as many of your senses as possible will stimulate different part of your brain as possible there by helping you learn more effectively.
I Also found using the 20/10 rule really helped me, several studies have shown that just sitting their for hours is'nt an effective way of learning.
Even someone with really good powers of concentration cant hold there attention for more than ~30 mins at a time, most people tend to learn most effectively when they study for approximately 20 minutes followed by ten minute breaks in between.
Also don't try and cram it just doesn't work (not for me at least) I always end up just getting confused and stressed if you have an exam or piece of course work give yourself plenty of time and do it in little bits.

Hope that helps :)
skyebison
Getting settled in

Post by skyebison »

[redacted]