How should I teach?

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Buddha12
New member - welcome them!

How should I teach?

Post by Buddha12 »

Hi,

I am currently in training to become a Dyslexia/ Dyspraxia Tutor and as part of my course, I have to teach a student with both of these conditions. My problem is that I am struggling to find things and ways to teach! I've been taught to use a multisensory approach but as my student can be sensitive to touch and has difficulty writing, it means there are some things she can't do.

Her main issues are with:

- Structuring writing
- Some spellings like 'ie' and 'ei'
- Memory
- Processing

As I'll be having an observed session with my teacher soon, I want to make sure that what I'm teaching is useful for her.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated!

pouvik
Regular Poster

Re: How should I teach?

Post by pouvik »

have patience, remember that we are intelligent people, just we find it hard to process our thoughts and what we know, so get her to write notes, mind map etc
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I apologise if I have taken your posting out of context
corbinpercy wrote:Dyspraxic children have problems with social distance and constantly ‘invade your space’. Teach them to stay literally at arms length from the person they are talking to.
I disagree quite strongly with this. Whilst this might possibly true for avery a small number of children. I do not believe it is at all 'typical' of those who have dyspraxia

Equally
corbinpercy wrote:Very specific instructions are required. Play the Fishing game using a cardboard tube (two-handed) with string and magnet to pick up letters or fish this can also be played in kneeling position.
Nobody should be treated like this, it's demeaning!

Yes we may tend to like to be sure about things and specific instructions are helpful. However treating someone in a prescriptive way can be very counter productive. Some might enjoy such a fishing game for a while but as with anyone you need to encourage and nurture.

I hope this site allows you to gain a better insight into what it means to be dyspraxic and helps to enlighten you. We're a very diverse bunch and you will learn a lot here.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Gekon
New member - welcome them!

Post by Gekon »

You should be an autoritet for ppl, u have to be patient and nice :)
allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro »

how did the teaching go?
Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan »

One thing I would say you shouldn't do when teaching which words use ie and ei is that silly "I before e, except after c" phrase, as it's totally wrong. So many words don't conform to that standard such as 'weird' and many others. I don't think there's any trick to learning the ordering of those letters other than practice.