Concentrating during long lectures

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

LGC2108
Regular Poster

Concentrating during long lectures

Post by LGC2108 »

I have had a lot of difficulty recently concentrating during two hour long lectures, usually only concentrating for the first 5-10 minutes. Does anyone else have problems with this, or any advise? Thanks.
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Re: Concentrating during long lectures

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Actually I don't think this is especially a dyspraxic thing it pretty much the same for everyone.
Studies have shown that even people with exceptional powers of concentration cant effectively concentrate for more than 20 or so minutes at a time, so long lectures just aren't really a very effective learning tool especially if there isn't any participation between student and lecturer.
The recommend way to to study especially for dyspraxics is the "20 10" rule that means 20 minutes of study with 10 minute breaks in between this is how the brain absorbs information best.
Since this isn't practical in a lecture what I used to do is ask if I could put my Dictaphone at the front of the lecture theater to record everything (lots of my lectures were recorded anyway ) that way if you don't pick everything up (which you won't) you can play it back at your own leisure.
Also people tend to learn better if their engaging different parts of their brain so try different things read the hand outs for a bit take some notes for a bit listen for a bit etc.
Also ask as many questions as possible your far more likely to be be mentally engaged if your the one asking the question also it stimulates a different part of the brain aiding learning.
Greenartists
New member - welcome them!

Post by Greenartists »

Make notes, even if they are hard to understand afterwards. Or even draw pictures, diagrams or doodle. I was lucky that most of my lectures had slide shows, studying very visual subjects.

I learned later, that the physical process of scribing was what mattered, in making notes, not that I could refer back to the notes afterwards. I do this when I am reading to (sometimes this is very difficult due to concentration and eyesight difficulties).

For me the process of writing something down helps transfer things from the immediate memory to the long term.

It meant that I was recording what I thought was important, that way I became attentive, rather than drifting off into my own world or something I was worrying about. If you can get plain paper it makes it easier to organise your thoughts.

I did not realise I missed out every line on ruled note paper, until someone commented in a writing work shop.

Flow charts or bubble diagrams are great and arrows. If the information does not link together, then it is probably the fault of the lecturers, not yours!
MaroonedinMonkeyland
New member - welcome them!

Post by MaroonedinMonkeyland »

Great advice above!

I'ts a time of day I cannot bare !!

I would recommend an Olympus dictaphone, but instead of next to the lecturer maybe sit at the front of the theatre and buy an additional mic for it which plugs into the front, this will combat the background noise.
I ask you to keep the dictaphone near because the pager setting can be very useful for indexing when the slide is changed or you lose concentration and need to pinpoint the lapse when you listen back to it.

Print the handouts of the presentation prior to the lecture and read up , so you have to make little notes. Understanding it at the time by listening instead of noting or jotting a quick acronym or analogy that seems better to myself works better for me..

Make sure you are hydrated! I also favour more slow release energy foods rather than over doing it on caffeine.
A pick me up for early lectures is often required though!

All the best