Last chance of uni

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kat123
New member - welcome them!

Last chance of uni

Post by Kat123 »

Hi, I am new to this forum so hello!

I have recently started researching Dyspraxia which is a term that is new to me this past year. My mom thought I used to have it when I was younger but I joined sports teams and she carried on as she presumed since I was in sports teams I didn't have it. Long story short I believe I do have it and am currently trying to get an assessment carried out, which by what I have read is a long tiresome process.

I am doing a business degree at uni and found out I failed two modules, both maths. I have to resit at the end of this month, and start of September, and if I don't pass them I can't continue into second year. I am getting so stressed out about these exams. I am frustrated as I can't understand it, I can't concentrate and I can't remember things easily.

Everyone keeps telling me to just do it, but I physically am struggling and there is so much pressure for me to pass, I can't cope. I can't tell uni as I havent been formally assessed, and my exams are in 2 weeks, whilst I have been studying for a while, I feel I know nothing and am crying all the time, and getting beyond upset at the thought of failing once again. It feels like I have to try 3 times as hard as everyone else just to get a pass.

Any tips/suggestions?

Thanks, sorry for the ramble
screengreen
Power poster

Re: Last chance of uni

Post by screengreen »

I am sure you will have tried this but on the off chance it might help, have you tried visual techniques like mind mapping, piecharts etc.
Also your uni will have a special needs department I would advise that you go and see them as soon as possible

hope this is of some help
Kat123

Post by Kat123 »

Thanks, visual aids is actually something I am going to try more of, I just panic and can't revise the way everyone else seems too. My resits are in 2 weeks so there isn't enough time to speak to them for these exams, and I haven't had an assessment yet, but after that I am going to contact them. I just have to work so hard for the next two weeks to pass these exams.

Thanks for the tips x
jade04smith90

Post by jade04smith90 »

Hi
The uni should be able to get an assessment done for you with an educational psychologist
I had my assessment through the uni after failing my second year and once the assessment is done there is lots of help and support you can get both through the university and through disabled student allowance that can organize software and equipment to help you study. I hope you do well with your exams but if you do fail try not to let it dishearten you to much with most unis there are many options to help you redo parts you have failed.
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi Kat,

I had a similar thing when I had to take engineering maths, do you have any friends in class that are good at maths that could help you through? This is what I did I wouldn't have got through otherwise.
Also at my uni there is a Maths support drop in center that you can go and ask for help from most uni's have something similar.
The biggest thing I've found is when your dealing with maths don't just look at the numbers, I know it sounds odd but most maths teachers just teach equations they don't explain the underlying ideas that the equations express and that's all maths is, away of describing the relations between things in the universe.
For instance I could never understand calculus until I relaised all it was doing was describing how one thing changes in relation to another at any given point all dy/dx etc is just a complex way of saying that .
There are a couple of books I found useful if you can find them; "The Maths Handbook" by Richard Elwes and" 50 mathematical ideas" by Tony Crilly (Think I got both of them from the Works cos I'm a cheap git :) ). They are good because they didn't actually have much maths in them they just concentrated on explaining concepts in normal language.
And lastly i'm pretty sure you'll be fine but even if you do fail your first year don't stress to much its no biggy I know loads of people who failed first year two or three times and still got a good degree,hell I even failed my final year once and still managed a 1st.
What I would suggest no matter what is get your assessment ASAP it will help you not just at uni but in life in general.

Good Luck :D .
Kat123

Post by Kat123 »

captain ludd:

Thanks for your help I will look into those books, as I will appreciate any help. I have started to research into reasons and examples that will help me learn it and remember it better. It's hard for people to understand, as I do enjoy maths but it's very hard and when I try and explain why it's hard people don't understand.

I am looking into getting help next year. Unfortunately there is no one I know retaking this so there's no one to ask for help but I'm persisting.

I am going for a consultation on friday and then following that an assessment, which hopefully can say I have dyspraxia, so I can have a reason for my struggles and to gain extra help and support from university.

Thanks for your advice it really helped. And well done of the first, I hope to be ass successful.