University Complaints Proceedure

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrr
New member - welcome them!

University Complaints Proceedure

Post by mrr »

Sorry if this sounds a bit negative but has anyone out there actually challenged unmet learning support requirements at a UK university through the University complaints system and actually won their case at level 1, 2 or through the ombusman. Particularly on science courses.
For my own peace of mind, and to give us the strength to keep going, I would love to discover someone who has actually challenged the inequality that can exist in the Higher education system and actually won their case allowing them to continue.
AlleyCat
Power poster

Re: University Complaints Proceedure

Post by AlleyCat »

I appealed against marks awarded for my degree (which was in music) and didn't get anywhere, despite there having been obvious cock-ups (for example, recitals were 'accidentally-on-purpose' not being recorded when it had been agreed with students that they would be). However, I had not been diagnosed with dyspraxia back then so did not claim mitigating circumstances on the basis of that- my main complaint was to do with the department having conducted assessments in an unfair manner. I didn't get anywhere as the university's own complaints procedure was a farce and seemed to have been designed to always side with the department regardless. However, the next port of call was much worse than it is these days, as it consisted of the 'Visitor' system, which in the case of the university I went to meant that complaining to the Queen was the last resort! There was virtually no chance of success through that system, but now that students have recourse to the ombudsman system you might have more success if your university won't listen to you.
mrr

Post by mrr »

Thankyou Alleycat for your response. I agree that the complaints proceedure is so complicated, lengthy and dense its not suprising that most will give up before they get to ombusman stage.
Its time national statistics were collected NOT on how many students with learning support requirements go into university BUT percentage that complete the course with satisfactory learning support provision. I suspect we would discover a significant number of 'hidden' students' are lost upon the way, due to inadequate learning support,but without a swift and satisfactory way in which to challenge it they are leaving.
Some Universities are ignoring legistlation and getting away with it.
StephyLou

Post by StephyLou »

Yes - when they forgot to organise a laptop for me when I turned up for an exam and the change of circumstances made me have a panic attack. I was allowed to re-do the exam (the same questions) but a week later. Part from that my Uni were really good.