Collage Choices

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

cameronsmith1201
New member - welcome them!

Collage Choices

Post by cameronsmith1201 »

Hello. What i want to know is that, see having dyspraxia. dose that ever effect your choie at collage. Also i am new on here. :banana:
Shadwell

Re: Collage Choices

Post by Shadwell »

as far as I am aware, then going to College, then it is more or less up to you, as well as the course you do.

but I am saying this as someone who never knew about being Dyspraxic when I was in College, I only really knew about my balance, hand-eye co-ordination so things like writing info off blackboards back in the day, ok 20 years ago!!

but as for choice then it was up to myself, I decided to stay in the local college, and was accepted. as for further away from home then I am not to sure.

as for courses, then I done a foundation year, followed by a year of Car Maintenance, then in about 1999 - 2001 I done Music Technology NVQ level 2, and Sound and Engineering NVQ level 2, and passed years 1 and 3. the car maintenance was too much written work, that even out of class I was always playing catch-up, and falling further and further behind. as for sound recording, then too many things were happening in my life, and forgotten to take in the course work in time.

so as for choices on courses, then it is totally up to you, but would reccomend a laptop if your writing speed is too slow. as it was I am/was quite a bit faster on pc than handwriting speed, but laptops were still a thing for rich people so never got one, and never had any real help from the College, there was only one lecturer that helped through the Car Maintenance course, by giving me an hour tuition to go through the Numerousy side of the course so that I was able to catch up with the other lads, and pass them in mathimatic sums. like learning how to do bodmas before them, as my course tutor would share the info for the lessons with her.

so basically I think it is more or less up to you with Colleges. if it was a Uni then they usually go more by grades than anything else. I am not sure if anyone since the good old days have had problems getting into College, I only know I had to do the year of Foundation, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to get onto the Car Maintenance course.
Tim G
Super poster

Re: Collage Choices

Post by Tim G »

Hi Cameron, firstly welcome to the forum

Dyspraxicia should not directly affect your choice of collage but it should be condenserd how much support you get at the collages your looking at and weather your suitable to do the courses your interested in doing.
The real Mr Potato Head