A-Level Maths

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

A-Level Maths

Post by calumfsinclair »

I've just started A-level maths, and well it's been uphill for the last 3 weeks, I got a U on my first test and none of the numbers make sense to me. I somehow got an A at GCSE by learning all the formulas by wrote, but you can't do that at A-Level since the questions are more dynamic. Does anyone have any tips to help make maths easier, since I can't seem to be able to compute numbers in my head and see the pattern in things.

Also has anyone seen the open dyslexic font, it's really good, I'm using it now and I can read the text sooo much easier, I can really recommend it.
http://dyslexicfonts.com/
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Re: A-Level Maths

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi,

I had a similar problem when I did a year of physics and electronic engineering I've found there’s a big jump between GCSE and A level/degree you cant just learn stuff off pat and hope it sticks.
Where I study there’s a drop in centre specifically to help with Maths and English is there anything like that at your college/uni?
Also I was kind of lucky in that a mate of mine is naturally good at maths (lucky git :) ) and he helped me out when I was really stuck, do you have any friends or relatives that may be able to give you a hand?
A part from that for me it was just a case of going back to basics and trying to understand what the maths is trying to say instead of just trying to remember it, there is actually a big difference.
I do think that the way maths is taught at schools is wrong (this may have changed in the past 13 years) its just "remember these equations and all will be well".
Actually a really good book for basic/intermediate maths I've been reading (cos I’m sad) is called "The Maths Handbook, Everyday Maths Made Simple" by Richard Elwes it doesn’t cover all the way up to full A level but it does cover all the basics and actually explains where the maths is coming from instead of just throwing a load of equations at you, that might help give you a better grounding.
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

My family, friends and teachers are all trying to help, it just seems like trying to plug gaps in a colander! However my teacher assures me I will get I eventually, but I think that could be a while. He's dyslexic and got a degree in maths, so hopefully he's telling me truth! I'm going to see it through to the end and see what I get, I guess that's all I can do.
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Yeah you'll get it, might take a while but just keep plugging away.
As I said before I found the bet thing to try and do is to see past the numbers to the meaning, know it sounds a bit Zen but it does work.
There are some bits that every body always find hard for me its 3D Trig when you get good at that let me know and Ill have plenty of dumb questions to ask :) .
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

I'm only doing for a year I think, mainly to access chemistry! I have my own goggles, which cover more, for obvious reasons!!