Need tips for study/improving memory

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

robert7111a
Getting settled in

Need tips for study/improving memory

Post by robert7111a »

Hello

I'm in full time work but need to study from time to time. I can't do it at home because there are too many distractions and I am so easily distracted (and procrastinate too much). I have a rubbish short-term memory and forget my thoughts/what I've read instantly. If I am typing an important piece of information and I get distracted by a thought or by something external, I instantly forget what I am typing and get so frustrated trying to remember.

I have so many work projects on the go that I can't get any finished. I email stuff to myself which I can read when on the move but I still can't confine this to memory. It's like I have an instantly-erasible RAM and I'm so frustrated by all of this. I am researching two important projects at the moment to help me in my work but I just can't seem to remember all the facts etc despite emailing them and reading on my mobile phone

Any help would be appreciated
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Re: Need tips for study/improving memory

Post by Captain_Ludd »

I know I’ve said this a number of times but iv found that plenty of water and omega 3 oils has really helped my concentration and memory, might be worth a try ca do any harm.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

How about trying to have a note book for each project and write down the facts and info you need - use this as your memory and dont trust your mind as it will only let you down.

Why do you keep putting things off - I know its easy to say just get on with it but there is a lot more phyclogical factors affecting it.

Where do you do your work and are there any ways to help improve your focus like working at quiter times, being a seprate room or section.
The real Mr Potato Head
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

I find listening to relaxing music helps a lot
particuarly dearly beloved from kingdom hearts 2
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
Catwoman42
Power poster

Post by Catwoman42 »

You might find a digital voice recorder useful. You could record thought as you think them. I'm getting 1 to record lectures for my course.
Impossipuzzle
New member - welcome them!

Post by Impossipuzzle »

I've also found a voice recorder to be very useful.

Then of course comes the problem of actually remembering to take the little thing with you to lectures!
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

True but most smart phones and some non smart phones have a recoding function on them as well. I have found that it makes a good backup when you have fogoten the recorder.
The real Mr Potato Head