Learning the piano

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

robert7111a
Getting settled in

Learning the piano

Post by robert7111a »

Hello

I have only recently discovered I have many traits of dyspraxia which is why I have never been able to progress playing the piano. I spent years wondering why. Now I know why, I would like to try and do something about my problem (if it is possible...)

What doesn't help is that I am easily distracted and can only concentrate for short periods. But I just cannot "get" playing with two hands simultaneously unless they are in parallel motion

I have tried searching the internet for tips but have drawn a blank

I wonder if anybody has any ideas here for self-help

Thanks in advance
Catwoman42
Power poster

Re: Learning the piano

Post by Catwoman42 »

I'm sure I've read(perhaps on here) that thing such as piano playing are called crossing the central divide' It's very difficult for dyspraxics to do 2 different things with both hands. That's why it's easier if both hands do the same thing.
robert7111a
Getting settled in

Post by robert7111a »

Hi yes, I guessed this was the cause.

Has anyone got any tips/ideas that I can work on?
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Reading the post title made me think, aww, I want to try get better on the piano again :p (I was made to have lessons when younger but gave up after a few because it wasn't for me then), but then that getting the hands to do different thngs and remembering stuff in the first place again, hmm... But yeah, basically haven't got any tips myself... just need to keep practicing to improve the coordination of the hands and stuff, I guess. :/
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hi Robert,

Dyspraxia doesn’t make it in possible to do anything fiddly or highly coordinated just more difficult the key is just that you'll need to practice,practice,practice and then when you think you've practice enough practice some more.
Good luck mate :) just keep plugging.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I did the piano for years as well....hated it. There were too many things to worry about....it was years before I realised I had a left hand at all so doing two different things made it difficult. I nearly got killed twice for asking if the teachers would put the music on tape for me so that I could hear what it was supposed to sound like. Reading music is a nightmare...might as well be trying to read Greek. I learned traditional Irish music. I'd recommend learning a different instrument where you can learn by ear, and even if the two hands are doing different tings they are closer to each other so that you are aware of them.
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

I nearly got killed twice for asking if the teachers would put the music on tape for me so that I could hear what it was supposed to sound like.
That's terrible, agsiul. Asking your teachers to record your pieces on tape so that you could learn what they sounded like was a reasonable request. A good music teacher would have been happy to oblige- this is a valid way of learning not just for pupils with dyspraxia, but also for those who struggle to read music (such as those with dyslexia).
piano rachel
New member - welcome them!

Post by piano rachel »

I am dyspraxic. I am also a piano teacher.

It's not impossible to play if you are dyspraxic, but it is extremely hard work - you would need to spend significantly more time practicing than a non-dyspraxic would. Several reasons for this 1) motor-control type coordination 2) hand/eye coordination 3) poor short-term memory.

You will also need a very sympathetic piano teacher - one who is prepared to be patient, encouraging, to adapt their teaching style to you, and be prepared to help you explore how you learn and what strategies work for you.

For a very long time, I thought I would never progress beyond the grade 5 I took whilst at school, but 4 years ago (shortly after being diagnosed with dyspraxia at the age of 42) I found a teacher who is all of the above. I'm taking my grade 8 in 12 weeks time ... the practicing frequently reduces me to tears (or swearing) but I refuse to be beaten.