Aspiring mature student, needs advice

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

luke james taylor
New member - welcome them!

Aspiring mature student, needs advice

Post by luke james taylor »

I am dyspraxic, 37 and left school at 14 but have self educated myself in a wide range of subjects from history to politics. I have developed a large vocabulary, fantastic debating skills and a passion for writing and the English language.

After decades of low paid soul destroying jobs I realise the only way to rise up the economic ladder is to get involved in a job that involves using the mind, organising, managing, analyzing and creating. Basically putting my more than capable intellect to work. But I realise without a degree or the multi tasking, organising, analyzing and memorizing skills involved in obtaining a degree I will forever be mixing cement for minimum wage.

I have googled for dyspraxia friendly universities and suitable courses but the information online is sparse.

I would like to find a course that interests me and allows my to utilize the knowledge I have gained through my self education without plunging into a course which is heavy on maths, facts, figures, measurements and other mindbogglingly tedious and downright difficult tasks.

So far I have come up with art, history and journalism but I have been told these subjects are over subscribed and graduates of these subjects are underemployed.

It seems that the graduates who do well from their education are the ones who go into business and marketing etc both of which are bound to be maths heavy

As you can see I have many questions.

Does anyone know of anywhere in the UK where I can go to get expert advice to answer all of my questions?
Tim G
Super poster

Re: Aspiring mature student, needs advice

Post by Tim G »

Unforanlty dyspraxic frendly unies dont really exist as dyspraxicia hasent got the awareness it needs.
However there are unie which do have a high number of ND (nurologicial diverse) students - for expample art, thearther collages etc which are more creative based.

Really the thing to do is to find a sutable uniueversty and course you would like to do - somthing that really intrests you and that you can use your intelectual skills in.

The next thing to do is to apply for DSA (dysabled students allowance) this is a grant from the govement to help dysabled students in unieversty. - You will be assised for your study needs and from that they will reccomend and put forward to the funding authroity the equipment, extra tuition / help you need etc - this will come out of your DSA grant / allowance. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeo ... G_10034898

The allowance will help you get extra tuition, study support, equipment to help you learn and compleate the course etc.

As I see it graduates who do well are thoes who take there qulifaction and most imporantly the infomation gained and use it to the best of their abilty / take full advantage of it and the unieversty.
Subjects such as art, history and journalism tend to be courses that people go on to 'get a degree' and thats it also to add to that there are limited jobs in thoes markits for the number applying for the course.

For more infomation / advice on this contact the Dyspraxica Foundation.
The real Mr Potato Head
Dishwasher
Getting settled in

Post by Dishwasher »

You should go straight to the disability department as soon as you enrol or even before if possible. The mentoring and computer software I was given are very helpful but Ive only started to use them in my final year due to late diagnosis. Have you done an access course or similar?
thecoldground
New member - welcome them!

Post by thecoldground »

luke james taylor wrote: After decades of low paid soul destroying jobs I realise the only way to rise up the economic ladder is to get involved in a job that involves using the mind, organising, managing, analyzing and creating. Basically putting my more than capable intellect to work. But I realise without a degree or the multi tasking, organising, analyzing and memorizing skills involved in obtaining a degree I will forever be mixing cement for minimum wage.
Well speaking as a syspraxic studying for a Sociology degree at Liverpool John Moores University, I can say it's solidly Dyspraxia friendly as anywhere else.

Don't listen to the advice about marketing and business, you've got just as much chance of a good job on a history or art degree. Most degrees really require similar skills tbh.
Access courses are fantastic you know, maybe you could look up one you fancy, you might still be able to get on one for September. Have you ever thought about social work for example (that's how I got into uni) or psychology? What do you really *want* to do? What are you most interested in?
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

YoI u could do what I did and Email the unis your intrested in and ask for module details for the courses your intrested in I dont know about any centeral organisation that provides this information though.
Catwoman42
Power poster

Post by Catwoman42 »

Really, a degree in anything is useful as employers tend to use them as a screening device. It just means that you have attained a certain level of education.Find out what's on offer, find something you like and go for it. But do contact student services. Good luck!
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Catwoman42 wrote:Really, a degree in anything is useful as employers tend to use them as a screening device. It just means that you have attained a certain level of education.Find out what's on offer, find something you like and go for it. But do contact student services. Good luck!
Yes a degree is usefull but there is a lot to it and and lot to think about if your considering it - the money, time, if you can do it and the effort your going to put in etc. So just getting a degree as somthing that may be usefull i.e. as a screaning device / level of education i feel isent the best way to go about considering studding somthing at degree level.
The real Mr Potato Head