Reading

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

chelsean93
New member - welcome them!

Reading

Post by chelsean93 »

I am 18, i have managed to survive through school, college and university doesn't seem to be going to bad for me so this isn't a serious problem. I was just wondering if anyone else doesn't enjoy reading as a liesurely activity, i can never seem to "get in to" a book. I have no problems what so ever reading if i have to do so for university reserch. Maybe i have not found the right type of book yet, but every book i have tried to read about an intrest of mine i can only ever read a few pages and then it gets put down never to be looked at again... Just wondering if anyone else finds this too.
jordan-

Re: Reading

Post by jordan- »

I pretty much have the same problem. Although with me i think it's just down to laziness ;) I haven't got the patience to read a book, never did in school and never have in college! I usually just skim through the pages till i find what I am looking for. Not the best solution by any means, but it helps!
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Yea same hear - I am not a grate reader and its not somthing I do as a 'lesure activitie' however there have been some books in the past that i have got into.
I have been reading quite a fue self-help books in realtion to my difculities - some I don't get into at all where as others I have found verry usefull and helpfull so have been reading them.

Genralie through I just use books as refrance and look at the aspects I need to.
The real Mr Potato Head
Catwoman42
Power poster

Post by Catwoman42 »

I love reading. I have been off sick recently and have read loads. I wore glasses from an early age so I was never going to be sporty..Perhaps thats why I read so much.
GerardSmith

Post by GerardSmith »

Reading is a complex cognitive process of decoding symbols in order to construct or derive meaning (reading comprehension). It is a means of language acquisition, of communication, and of sharing information and ideas. Like all language, it is a complex interaction between the text and the reader which is shaped by the reader’s prior knowledge, experiences, attitude, and language community which is culturally and socially situated. The reading process requires continuous practice, development, and refinement.
BinaryBovine
Getting settled in

Post by BinaryBovine »

I love reading, have done all my life, but I can't get into just any book. I usually stick with fiction novels but it can't be just anything, I've got a freind who lends me books sometimes which is great cause she's read them before and knows what I like, Terry Pratchett is a sure bet for me usually- funnyest author I've ever read. For a fun easy read, I reccommend the Wee Free Men, its a bit young, but I can't imagine anyone not getting into it. Ach Crivens! :)
Socially awkward penguin
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

love love love a book!! :banana: always seem to be able to find time to read - just as long as it's nothing real!!! no modern day baddies for me oh no!! I want wizards and magic and dragons and far away battels with the forces of darknes.....it's all about the escape from the hear and. I very lucky that when I read i get like a movie in my head and I don't see the printed page I just see sailing on a magic ship or flying through clouds ( or what ever the text happens to be about!) makes scary books literally a nightmare...no Steven King for me anymore :Eek: Currently ploughing through Terry's back catalogue! i agree funiest author ever - met him at a book signing years ago.......very nice man. One of my very few regrets in life is not asking him if he'd like a pint of beer, we were back of the queue - last ones there I thought just ask the man...worst thing he can say is no! but I bottled :rolleyes: (sorry went off on tangent!!)
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Loooooove books myself. :grin:
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

I love reading, but I have to admit I got myself a tablet PC a couple of months ago and I’m listening to more and more audio books on it which is kind of cheating but I think it still counts.
Ill always go back to books though cos I love the smell and feel of them a little weird I know but I don’t care :) .
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

I have always been a keen reader (ever since my early childhood) and I read a huge variety of things.
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

Once I've had the patience to read half the book I normally can't stop, I'm obsessive. But if I've only read 2-3 chapters or I've forgotten I'm reading a book or I've lost it I won't read it. I do tend to read series a lot though. Especially sharpe and biggles, some of the greatest books I've read!
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!
robert7111a
Getting settled in

Post by robert7111a »

Personally I don't read much. I can read the letters and words perfectly but just don't get the plot or the characters. Same with films. I can hear the words well but can't read lips or work out the plot