Dyspraxia and CBT/Hypnotherapy

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Euphena
Regular Poster

Dyspraxia and CBT/Hypnotherapy

Post by Euphena »

Since receiving my DSA allowance I've been thinking of using some of it, receive CBT/Hypnotherapy for my depression and anxiety. I was wondering has anyone on the forum used this therapy. I've had CBT therapy before, but I was wondering with the combination of hypnotherapy I might be able to help myself.

Let me know your thoughts
suzie
New member - welcome them!

Re: Dyspraxia and CBT/Hypnotherapy

Post by suzie »

you should consider having NLP - neurolinguistic processing - it really helps with dyspraxia.....you only need one or two sessions.....its very powerful and effective. my daughter is 18 and has dsypraxia - she has had two sessions - she is much more focussed now and not so emotional ...and she has also dealt with her fear of flying. She seems much more balanced now and calm. I would definitely recommend it
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

What exactly is NLP....can you explain it?
Euphena
Regular Poster

Post by Euphena »

Thank you Suzie for your reply

I am very fimiliar with NLP, in fact I've met the guy who introduced it (Richard Bandler) NLP is basically a way of reframing your wants and desires similiar to CBT whereby you look at copy excellence and through hypnosis or other forms of reframing, you slowly work towards to your goal.

Two days agoI contacted a lady called Paula Newman, she is a counsellor who has a particular interest in dyspraxic adults. She herself is dyspraxic, but she said she hasn't been formally diagnosed. I was wondering has any one had counselling with her and any counsellor who looks after dyspraxic individuals. I'll be interested in your experiences.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

that would be interesting...
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Not had NLP (but that is basically a watered down version of mantra working and meditation also the 8 model working of Tim Leary and Transcendental meditation ;)).

CBT didnt work for me as being Dyspraxic i already though in those terms (still have depression but its regulated) my Councillor lovely lady has been doing it for 20 years , we didn't get to the conclusion that is was because i was Dyspraxic . So would be interesting to see if there was a link
rosemari

Post by rosemari »

How can i easily use conversational hypnosis to make someone forget their name? I realy want to know how i can do this. I've read up on hypnosis, convert hypnosis etc. so i know how 2 use it well. Anyone got conversational hypnosis scripts i could use?
Charlotte
Getting settled in

Post by Charlotte »

Hi, I've had both CBT and hynotherapy for dyspraxia and anxiety in crowded places. I got some CBT from the NHS and, to be perfectly honest, I didn't find it all that helpful. But I also had some private CBT. While it didn't completely change my life and personality I did find it useful and helpful. My hypnotherapy was primarily aimed at anxiety problems, rather than dyspraxia per sae. I had a good relationship with the lady doing it and I felt it helped me.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I am under NHS mental helth care for axianty and depreshion and other dyspraxia related issues etc and I got help for my axianty - it gave me skills to take away and help control the axianty and I feel that it helped, but agian it depends on person to person.
I am a bit scepctial about NLP as its avoidence thearpy and I would like to work through my issues first before I consider this.
I am considering hypnothreapy for my axianty - to see if it can help genralie make me less prone to get anxious, thoughts on this?
The real Mr Potato Head
Andrewmorris27

Post by Andrewmorris27 »

Hi guys,
Newbie here but this post really interested me so I thought I would put my input in.
I've been recently diagnosed as dyspraxic in November 2011 and also have cormobidity issues with dyslexia after years of fightIng for a test, I'm actually a qualified counsellor / therapist / psychotherapist (whichever takes your fancy) and studying for my degree in counselling and psychotherapy.
Firstly do your research, CBT may not be the correct form of therapy for you, NLP (which I'm also training in) is a fantastic tool but again may not be for you, there's also person centred.
Use the counselling directory ran by the bacp where therapists can advertise, most offer an initial consultation free of charge so you can get to know what they offer, whether they can work with you and more importantly you with them.