Government Reports-Disability Rights Commission

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

peterkeegan
Regular Poster

Government Reports-Disability Rights Commission

Post by peterkeegan »

I have been doing some digging around regarding government policies towards people with disabilities (Generalised). It may still be up to date but worth checking at your own leasure.

Disability Rights Commission Chairman (DRC) at the time of these reports was Bert Massie, CBE. The reports are based on England and Wales though I would imagine Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ireland will have some thing similar.

:evilb: DRC - The duty to promote Disability Equality Statutory (DES) code of practice (2005). General duties cover the following: Minsters, Government departments, agencies (Home Office). Local Authories, National Assembly for Wales, Colleges, Schools and Universities, Local Education Authories, NHS Trusts, Police & Criminal Injuries Compensation Board, CPS, Courts & Tribunals though there are exceptions this is explained in paragragh 5.10, Inspection & Audits (NAO), Certain Publically funded museums. Website: www.drc.org.uk/employers and service provider/disability equality duty/getting started/codes of practice.aspx

Disability Equality Duty (DED) - Public authorities...covered by set specific duties are required to produce a Disability Equality Scheme (DES) showing how they intend to fulfill the duty....to support people with disabilities.

:bike: Improving the life chances of disabled people (Strategy unit 2005) - Disability Equality "By 2025 disabled people in Britain should have full opportunities and choices to improve their quality of lifeand will be respected and included as equal members of society." Along way to go before that is achieved but thats my personal thought....!

:-({|= DRC - Doing the Duty - An Overview of the Disability Equality Duty (DED) for the public sector (2005) - Bert Massie, CBE, Chairman, DRC Website: www.dotheduty.org

:ghug: DRC "The Disability Equality Duty (DED): Guidance on gathering and analysing evidence to inform action" (2006) Website: www.drc.org.uk/employers and service provider/disability equality duty/getting started/evidence gathering.aspx

:banana: DRC "The Disability Equality Duty (DED) and involvement: Guidance for public authorities on how to effectively involve disabled people" (2006) Website: www.drc.org.uk/employers and service provider/disability equality duty/getting started/involving disabled people.aspx

Would welcome any feedback good or bad, accurate or inaccurate etc. I know its alot I think if we all take a look at different bits and report our thoughts on it we can see if this will be of benefit to us if not then we need to highlight it to the DRC and need be the House of Lords.
We the willing, led by the unknowning are attempting to the impossible for the ungrateful.

We have done so much with so little that we are now experts at doing anything with nothing.