The master procrastinator needs help!

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

The master procrastinator needs help!

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

Hey guys/girls! I need some ideas for keeping from being distracted when studying. I have tried many things. I think maybe I need more incentives. I have a timer that i set for how long I work on homework until I take a break. I do this because it takes me so long to do one piece of homework. I may take a whole day on one paper that most take about 2 hours on! #-o I don't like that, but it's true. Then, I get into this thing where I want to take a big humongous break and I don't get anything else done that day. It's hard because after that I don't want to do anything more that day. This happens quite often. I have tried to give myself incentives for not being distracted, but I have still had problems. I think that maybe I need more incentives or different ones, but I don't know what to do! Please help. 8-[
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
eoakley
Regular Poster

Post by eoakley »

I am get very board and am easily distracted and often try to put off a task for as long as I can.
the one thing i feel that helps me is moving from different rooms or the libary every so often and having a change of sceanary
in order to makesure i get everything done that i need to do I write myself a list and number the thing in order of importance and cross them off one i have done them.

i find promising my self a night out or some retail theropy often help to get motivated.

also you could break your time into one hour periods with 15 minute breaks but during these breaks dont watch tv or surf the net unnecessary.

hope this helps emma
fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

hey Shanna; Im liking the user name!! I thought i was the only one who likeKiera Knighley!! Dunno bout in the States, but in the UK all girls seem to HATE her!!! :-({|=

Funny you should bring this up; I have had problems with this in the past, especailly in my fisrt year of uni (last year). Now I seem to find it better tho; Im not entirely sure why. I find that the biggest mistake that students make is that they give thmesleves far too much time on one piece of work. If you give yourself an entire day, then youll put it off and put it off, thinkng that you have 'all day' to get it done. Dont do this- give yourself a routine to stick to, and fill it up with things to do so that you havnt got TIME to sit at your desk, worrying about not being assed to do the work. Also- set yourself REALSITIC GOIALS for each day. If you goive yourself one day to read 5 chapters, your kidding yourselkf coz you know you'll fail before you start. Give yourself realistic targets to meet- eg, read chptr 1 of book, then do something esle fun. That way youll be able to reach your targets and you'll feel good about yourself for doing it! I use this technique and trust me, it totally works. Also- my main incenitive for working hard is to imagine the good grade I'll get at the end of the course and the good degree i'll achieve for myself.

Hope this helps!!

PS- i aslo find it usefull to drink a fizzy, sugary drink whilsit im doin work, as this is meant to increase your concentration.

PPS- i like how you refer to uni work as homework' lol. Is that an american thing?!
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Great tips there from Fuzz. Don't give you too much or too little time to accomplish tasks, and schedule in when you're going to get stuff done. I wish I'd thought of that when I was at Uni!
mr_mallow
Getting settled in

Post by mr_mallow »

my occupational therapist suggested I squeezed a stress ball to try and stay focused during lectures. Haven't tried it, as I just can't seem to find where I can buy a stress-ball ANYWHERE - but yea, if you can, give it a try, let me know if it works!
fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

mr_mallow- hey, im the Fuzz; dont think wev met! *bows* Have you tried book stores including bargin ones (eg 'Bookworld')? how about places like Pickwicks (if your in the UK); they tend to sell random stuff like that, or gadget shops! I went to play.com and found one, too- but, erm, you may find it, um, a little 'distastefull' and a bit awkard to take into lecture theatres!! LOL!!!

(COPY AND PASTE IF IT DONT WORK)

:) :) :)

http://play.com/play247.asp?pa=search&s ... age=search
Goodbye, and have a pleasant tommorrow!!
I swear to drunk im not God.....
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm sorry I haven't been around lately. It's been forever! Yikes! Anyway, I still have trouble with procrastination (doing it right now), but I am actually getting better thanks to your tips and the ones from people on Dyspraxic Teens. =D>
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

Always find a good place to work and always get dressed.

I'm sure you know what a good working environment is, so I shan't bother wasting time on that. Getting dressed is important, I find that if I'm wearing extremely casual clothes then I don't concentrate so well on my work. I'm only wearing very casual clothes I get a lot more work done. It's odd how something simple like not having shoes on can switch your brain to relax mode ;)

In theory I could wear a suit and quadruple my productivity, but I really don't want to have to wear a suit :P