revision

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

LuluJeanne
Getting settled in

revision

Post by LuluJeanne »

Hello all,

I'm REALLY struggling at the moment with my revision. I have left it (once again) to the last minute in terms of my revision for my English exam. I have been trying all day to sit down to focus, but after about 10 minutes i lose my concentration, and get distracted by EVERYTHING!

I just cannot seem to knuckle down at all. I don't know where to begin! I wish i could be a different person for a day so i could have a moderate chance of passing my exam. Its now 10pm, my exams at 9am, and i've only started revising today when others started weeks ago. This has been a serious problem for me the last couple of months, i have literly got NOTHING done, and it makes me feel so depressed.

I just can't focus, concentrate, start anything, structure myself, do the writing in time. Maybe i should give on education.

I'm useless.. but my concentration is a serious problem. i don't know what to do anymore :(
"If at first you don't succeed, try try again"
"Life is a waiting game"
eoakley
Regular Poster

Re: revision

Post by eoakley »

First of all you are not useless, It just sounds like your prety stress out and need to calm down about things.

hope you exam went well but for next time here are some tips.

remove all distractions or yourself to the library, park/garden, kitchen table

break the main topics into sections

use mindmaps small notes

put post it notes with very important stuff on it in places you look every day i.e on the mirror on the top of your computer on the fridge etc.

hope these help
keep you chin up.
Vonkate
Getting settled in

Post by Vonkate »

i had the same problem when i doing my revsion, and my exams. nobody treid to help me, not even my family. i just took myself away from my house and i did my revsion outside anywhere and it really helped me. it worth a try, let me know how it goes. if u need anymore advice let me know.

you are not useless, i felt like that all the way through school, just keep telling yourself that u are not and you will believe it.
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

Lie i said to the other girl plan ahead use your diary/computer/black berry switch off anything too distracting like the your mobile, internet, msn, facebook and pop on some classical music or even talk radio and get studying i also fit my revision into small manageable chunks and change my activity or subject every half hour or so for example last year when i did my access to social work course I devised a schedule.

English essay (an hour )
15 minutes break (cup of tea and read a magazine)
Revise policy principles and practice (an hour)
sociology unit 4 (an hour)

Lunch (30 minutes for lunch, check facebook/blackberry etc)
IT Coursework (half an hour)
Sociology unit 4
Policy, Principles practice

and so on! You can also turn off your wireless internet on your laptop as well
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Its ok exams are useless not you ;)

Not a lot to add other then also find a breathing technigue that will help you slow down and relax (or other meditation - meditation means to become as one with your action really not just in a full lotus awaking Kundalinih with Shiva mantra's ;) ) .

Simple ones for breathing are in count for 4 hold for 2 then breath out , or count odd numbers breathing in even out then restart at 9 .
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

Mediation and yoga always helps as well as well as soothing music, having relaxing baths etc.
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
BinaryBovine
Getting settled in

Post by BinaryBovine »

Well this may well be a bit late a reply for you but I do hope you applied for extra time, if you're dyspraxic and struggle to finish it can really help. Once you have a proper diagnosis you can get 25% extra time during exams to give you time to think, and get everything written in time.

As for the revision, I found it was better to set a goal like, 'learn these 5 quotes by heart' before I gave myself a break, otherwise I'd waste time for like an hour till my designated choccy break. Once I got into it though, I could revise for 2 or more hours at a go. I guess you just gotta get in 'the zone'.

Good luck in the exam, hope it all went ok :-k
Socially awkward penguin