Mental Blocks

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

Remus
Regular Poster

Mental Blocks

Post by Remus »

Does anybody here suffer from mental blocks? On some assignments, I really struggle because I've just got this mental block on that particular assignment. I find for me what causes them is if I don't find the assignment interesting, I find the work hard or I don't exact get on with the tutor who set it.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern
RoxyFirestorm
New member - welcome them!

Re: Mental Blocks

Post by RoxyFirestorm »

i know exactly what you mean. sometimes my brain decides it's had enough of working,a nd goes into lockdown. when it gets to that point i can't do anything, productive or procrastinative. it's like when you want to cry, and you get a lump in your throat, when i want ot work i get a lump in my brain.
laurajm
Getting settled in

Post by laurajm »

I get mental blocks all the time and my memory is terrible so exams were a bit of a nightmare for me!

I used to try and remember important words by rhyming them with words I could remember. :)
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Ah tis the nature of teh word itself reek dys- meaning ‘difficulty’ and -praxis meaning ‘control of movement.
Mind farts :D . When i was diagnosed it was explained to me as if your brain wiring was a train track . NT (Nerou typical s ) had straight lines going to their "stations" (what they wanted to think) , and we had huge great Northern Indian mountain railway passes (we got great scenery mind ) , and our brains had to wait for the trains to come back , sadly some times losing the "thought" passengers on the way .

We also sometimes have less carriages ;)

That means its 5 mins ciunt your breathing (as long as your not doing 70 mph on teh motorway ) and chill out.
Remus
Regular Poster

Post by Remus »

laurajm wrote:I get mental blocks all the time and my memory is terrible so exams were a bit of a nightmare for me!

I used to try and remember important words by rhyming them with words I could remember. :)
I hate taking exams, every exam it was like my brain was pressing the delete button on purpose. That's why I am glad I'm doing courses which are only coursework based.

Both optimists and pessimists contribute to our society. The optimist invents the airplane and the pessimist the parachute G. B. Stern
Wobble
Getting settled in

Post by Wobble »

I can relate to this problem tremendously,i often convince myself im going to sit down and study a paticular subject,once im seated i sit and the shere though of even doing it is overwhelming and then i just rest my head on the desk and plan what im going to do but once it comes round to it,im too tired at that stage. #-o
Loki
Getting settled in

Post by Loki »

I tend to get bored... It's my curse and why I have so many different A-levels in total, as I'll do one and start getting bored of it and want to move onto something else. In an exam I'm good for about 10 minutes and then I'll be bored, same with revising! I hate revising!

I have to make things interesting to get them into my head, weirdly the thing that I found best was teaching other people... Grab a random unsuspecting family members and friend and demand that they sit, then teach them what is on your exam. It seems stupidly lengthy way of doing but that's the main way I could get things to stay in my head. And most of my friends can randomly spout psychology facts or case law for random acts that I've drilled into their heads to prep myself for an exam.
Beware my friends, as you pass by
As you are now so once was I
As I'm now so you must be
Prepare my friends to follow me
/Mary Jane - Megadeth/
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I lie in bed at the weekend until late planning how I'm going to clean the house and go out for food. I go through everything visualizing myself doing it all and the next thing I know it's 1:00 and I'm starvingand I havent' done anything #-o
cookiegirl
New member - welcome them!

Post by cookiegirl »

yes yes and yes, this is exactly what ive been saying in most of my other posts.
from an outsiders point of view the only thing that i think could work would be if you explain to your tutor that this happens because of dyspraxia.. and ask them if they can explain it in a way that might be more easilly understood.. See if they can use any association techniques within the explanation i.e. associating your studies with your day to day life.
Hope this helps you achieve success but its just trial and error i guess. Untill you find a way of remembering that works best for you.

Cookie girl
xoxoxoxoxo
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

I find studying in short intensive bursts best, after about half an hour my brain kinda stops accepting input so I do 20 mins on 20 mins off, when I get mental blocks (which I often do) I tend to walk away and do something else completely unrelated for a bit, sometimes your trying to do something so hard you cant see the woods for the trees.
Strangely enough I also tend to find I get some of my best ideas after a sleep which is a bit odd.
Jpowls
Getting settled in

Post by Jpowls »

I get really bad mental blocks and find it intensely frustrating. It's like sometimes my brain is free and works at a million miles an hour with ideas galore.

And at other times I feel like my brain has been replaced with a brick and doesn't function at all. I have no middle ground and work between these two extemes. It's soooo frustrating.