UCAS- What one do I select?

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

k9ruby
Getting settled in

UCAS- What one do I select?

Post by k9ruby »

I am applying to ucas to study web design. I am so confused! It says loads of things and dyspraxia can come into so many of them!

It says:

- Specific Learning Difficulty
- Blind/Partially Sighted
- Deaf/Hard of hearing
- You use a wheelchair/mobility problems
- Mental health difficulties
- You have a dissabiltiy that can't be seen
- More than 2 of the above
- Other not listed above
- ASD

Well, what am I supposed to select? Some people argue dyspraxia is a SpLD, some say it comes on the ASD (and some people would say I have PDD-NOS) , I have mobility problems because of it, inturned femurs and hypotonia, It can't be seen...could be argued to have more than two above but then its not listed! I also have Sensory Processing Disorder/Tremor included in my dyspraxia thing...

Arrgh!

What have you put?
Gregory
New member - welcome them!

Re: UCAS- What one do I select?

Post by Gregory »

I would have said it's a Specific Learning Difficulty (specifically it is Dyspraxia).
But f you select "Other not listed above" you should be asked what it is at some point and then you can explain the troubles you have.
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I would say tick the boxes which apply to you and you and if you have others which are not listed tick other as well....
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I would also say Specific Learnig difficulty. These boxes and check lists do make things confusing and difficult.
Meg
Power poster

Post by Meg »

I'm applying to go to Uni as a mature student in 2009 and I put a specfic learning difficulty

Hope this helps

Luv Meg
Xxxx
sillyaimee
New member - welcome them!

Post by sillyaimee »

My uni (Reading) classify Dyspraxia as a specific learning difficulty.
Hope this helps
Aimee x
littlemissbump14
Getting settled in

Post by littlemissbump14 »

St Andrews also casses it as that! I've found tat the tick box where the 'examples' is usually Dyslexia is often the right one! Hope this helps x
"Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming..."- Good advice from Dory
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Where are you based? I'd go with what one of the others said about ticking everything that applies because Specific Learning Disability is Dyslexia here. Dyspraxia would fall under physical disability. I wouldn't mark ASD because that is spefically relating to Autism. there are similarities between some of the things but there are definate things that don't apply and if you don't have an assessment htat says that you are on the spectrum I wouldn't tick it.
salems24
Getting settled in

Post by salems24 »

how much do the universities support you with Dyspraxia?

I only have mild Dyspraxia and tend not to put it on forms because I am scared of always being fussed over by teachers/lecturers whereas I would rather just be treated like everyone else in my class the only time I feel that I may need to tell someone is for written exams where there is a lot of writing because otherwise I will never finish it they also tend to give me extra time for the exam

p.s I applied for UCAS but I am not sure if I mentioned my disability