starting my PGCE

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

eoakley
Regular Poster

starting my PGCE

Post by eoakley »

Hi all
its been quite a long time as it has taken me time to work out how you actually post a messege on the new forum.

I have finished my Ba degree now I had to resit a module to boost my classification to a 2.2 and have hopefully done that, i will find out on friday so fingers crossed.

I started my PGCE yesterday so will be a teacher in a year, that sounds scarey, I was in a lecture theatre for the first time yesterday there was 800 people in there i didnt like it very much and dont actually remember anything form it coming from a course of 16 to this massive group scarey I am back in there tomorrow for 4 hours so will see how that goes,

I am going to arrange a meeting with student services for next week so that they can find me a new notetaker because I am finding this really hard I have been recording my lectures and seminars but it means i have to lisen to them again to make notes and this takes up too much of my free time.

Emma
Liz944
Super poster

Re: starting my PGCE

Post by Liz944 »

You will probably find at some point the a goup of 800 will get split up.... then you will find it more confortable... :P
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

hiya

i started my pgce last week.so coming to the end half of my 2nd week now. tomorrow i find out what school i am going to, and i start in the school on monday!

wow 800 is a lot much have been a massive lecture room. on our first day we had all secondary students together like that (but theres only about 250/300 ish of us), but then on our second day we went into subject sessions, only having lectures together for the ipd (initial proffessional development) sessions. today was an ipd day so lectures all day. but like tomorrow is a subject sessions day so just with the maths pgce people (40 of us), but then in the morning we split into 2 groups of 20. when you go into having lessons in your subject groups like this you will find it better.

we tend to stick in our group of 40 for subject sessions that are thing like lectures / information giving type lessons. then split in half, into 2 classes of 20, for lessons that involve us doing things in groups or anything like that. e.g. tomorrow we are doing peer teaching in the morning so we split for that, into small classes of 20, but the afternoon is behaviour management, which we have as a maths class of 40.

re the notetaking - yes i had been just recording the big lectures with the dictaphone, and intending to get the slides off the internet (when they go up), and not taking notes as that would be enough, and i can just listen to the bits of the lecture i want to if i need to hear anything again. (but i have not been recording the seminars aswe dont do anything worth recording its just group stuff usually). But today we were told that we need to make sure we take and keep organised our own notes as well, since these will be needed as evidence for the standards. so i will have to start taking some notes too. getting yourself a notetaker would be useful for you since you wont have the time to be making notes afterwards once things get a bit busier. i'm going to have to start taking something down in lectures i think.

i hope the student services people are helpful for you. and that you get good news on friday!

Lucy
mattie
Regular Poster

Post by mattie »

I will be starting a PGCE next year. I'm currently getting some experience in a primary school so that I can teach children in the 7-11 age range. :)
mattie
Regular Poster

Post by mattie »

As of this week, I have started to get some experience working in a primary school. I have really enjoyed it so far. :)

Mattie.
The Lurker
Power poster

Post by The Lurker »

mattie wrote:As of this week, I have started to get some experience working in a primary school. I have really enjoyed it so far. :)

Mattie.
What sort of things have you been doing?
eoakley
Regular Poster

Post by eoakley »

now 2 weeks in to the course the 800 of us get split up in to subjects, for some lectures so it breaks it down to 50/60 of us then this gets broken down again for workshops 15/20 in a group.

I had my meeting today with the disability co-ordinator with regards to my problems with note taking and the fact that during the lectures where there is 800 of us this is very problematic, she has drawn up a learning support agreement, stating that i am able to record lectures, use my laptop in the smaller lectures, she is going to try and get me a notetaker for the lectures in the hall with 800 people, but it will also be arranged for hand outs to be sent to me in advance so this will be a help.

the course is going better as the days go by i am now mixing with people in an attempt to improve my social skills and getting to know people on the course. had a bad experience on monday when had to do a bit of peer teaching i was far too nervous and completely messed it up, but i suppose it will only get better with experience.

Emma
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

ASk about what support you will receive on placement.

I was well supported within the university but the schools felt no obligation to honour my learning contract and in many instances weren't told about it.

I failed my PGCE in the classroom not in the University, so I urge you to press your disability support advisors on how you will be supported outside of university since your disability doesn;t stop the moment you leave campus.
"You don't get anything worth getting by pretending to know things you don't know."
~ Sam Harris.
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

i havent told my placement school about my dyspraxia. and my university arent aware of my learning support plan either i dont think, although it is there on the system. I havent brought it up with them anyway.

i am strugling with organisation a lot, but am trying to make myself more organised, lots of lists etc. Big job this weekend is to catchup on the paperwork, and work in general. but i think i can sort this one myself eventually, its just going to take a lot more effort on my part. i am having study skills sessions once a week now, in which we are focusing on my assignments. that is really helping too. especially as i had completely misunderstood the whole meaning of what the asignment wanted me to write about. but now i know, i can get heading in the right direction (if only the uni website wasnt down anyway)

in school i had my first formal observation. and that was alright. only things that were picked up on were i need to focus on my classroom management, project my voice more, and my board writing - too make it bigger, all the same size, etc. but i still got satisfactory on these things, and good on everything else. so not too concerned really, except improve that asap.

so far i am enjoying the course. a bit nervous about the way things are mounting up and how i will get it all done, have a lot of things to do this weekend, but not concerned as in "how will i ever make it through this course should i even be a teacher". I know that i am doing alright so far. In fact i cant wait till thursday when i next teach so i can try and improve my lessons, and my classroom management. I am though quite spoilt for choice as to what to put on my target sheet to focus on improving next week actually!