Mac or PC?

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

GWhizz
Regular Poster

Mac or PC?

Post by GWhizz »

Hi everyone going to uni soon on the 20th

i've booked a needs assesment and was wondering which OS is the best for dyspraxics and dyslexics
All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you - Gandalf
Liz944
Super poster

Re: Mac or PC?

Post by Liz944 »

I think the best things is to use the system you are most familiar with and not get forced into using a system you are not happy using.
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

I switched to mac and heartily endorse them as I lost two dissertations to windows PCs that crashed* and took all my files with them. Mac's new backup feature called 'time machine' means I could never loose a file again.

Get a Mac and be at ease with the universal harmonies.

There's crashing and then there is possession by the the demon Legion ('for we are many') my computer was not just malfunctioning it was malevolent and evil in ways that were truly dreamed up in the very lowest pits of Hades.
"You don't get anything worth getting by pretending to know things you don't know."
~ Sam Harris.
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

I'd say PC most definitely if you are planning to do much word processing or Excel or Internet. My family has a Mac and a PC and we've found the Mac is only good for graphics and design things. If you are doing design, then by all means, a Mac is much better. But, from my experience, the Internet doesn't work well on a Mac no matter what service you have. We've done three services and they all stink on ours. Plus, the word processing programs and game programs either don't work half the time or are really hard to navigate. Maybe we just got a bad Mac, but I strongly suggest a PC if you want to get other things done other than art.

My PC has crashed about four times, but I think this is highly unusual for a PC as my sister's has never crashed (as far as I know) and my parents' one only crashed once. I don't think any PC or Mac is immune to crashing so this isn't really a factor in the decision making as far as I'm concerned. Get a Mac if you want a Mac, but I say PC.
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

Try ubuntu. It's free, so it can't do any harm. Oh, and it's better, too.
NobodyElseWill
Power poster

Post by NobodyElseWill »

Mac its simple easy and reliable and hasn't got any technical jargon and everything is written in laymans terms
CertHE (Open) Health and Social Care (2009)
Access to Health and Social Care (2009)
KYJ113 Foundations for Social Work Practice (Pending)
victorsaver
New member - welcome them!

Post by victorsaver »

I think the best thing is to use the system that are most familiar with, and could be forced to use the system you are not satisfied using. I love to enjoy Windows 7 in my Toshiba Satellite Pro L770 Laptop.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Mac all the way even if you have used a PC before - I found the switch relitivie easy.

Mac's are very user frendly and are verry compatable with other Apple producets (as you would expect). About file sharing with PC's I havent had a issue with this as Office for Mac or iLife or iWork files can be opened and edeted on pc's. Genralie there isent major diffrances between PC's and Mac's but Mac's just work so much better.

If you do other work on pc's then it is possable to split the hard drive and have both windos OS and Mac OS on the same computer.
The real Mr Potato Head
markkjeforsonn

Post by markkjeforsonn »

According to me,it is totally depends on you because you have to work on that and how you are familiar this kind of os.in my case i believe that mac os very easy to use and easy to work.But i use windows 7 because it gives the great facilites thats why i use windows 7.
adammark23

Post by adammark23 »

I have a Mac and PC, we found that Mac is the only graphics and design things. If you are doing the design, then by all means, much better on the Mac. However, from my experience, the Internet does not work on a Mac, whether you have what kind of service.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

However, from my experience, the Internet does not work on a Mac, whether you have what kind of service.
What do you mean by that - can you not access the internet on the mac and if so whats going on with it, what problems are occering?

I have my mac book pro for a number of years now and use firefox browser and i find that that works perfictly fine.
The real Mr Potato Head
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

For the most part Id agree that you should use the OS that your most familiar with but there are a number of options

duel boot a Linux distro with Windows (Ubuntu is probably the easiest to use but there are hundreds available just needs a little research to find the right one for you ).

The other option is Boot camp for MAC which allows you to run a Windows OS in parallel with your MAC OS ,best of both worlds.

If your feeling really adventurous you could try running one OS inside another using something like VM ware.

Hope that helps :).
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I would say that if they feel you need any sort of special software that's quite likely going to be Windows only.

Me I'm Mac all the way and I don't have any problems getting it to do what I want it to as far as internet, Word processing etc to a standard I'm happy with as a perfectionist. That said some people have their own opinions and If they prefer Windows because that's what floats their boat/suits their requirements then that's their choice.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Depends what spechal softwere you need / want - I am using a Mac and prefer them over windows and I can use read and write, speach dictate etc on the mac as you could do on a PC.
However with a PC a lot / all programs are compatabable so if you need to use programs which are more spelicatie then iver boot camp a mac or just use a PC.
The real Mr Potato Head