Grammar in Foreign Languages

Anything to do with studying at University or college, from classes and coursework to classmates and student life

Moderator: Moderator Team

karip1
New member - welcome them!

Grammar in Foreign Languages

Postby karip1 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:41 pm

Okay is this an issue related to dyspraxia or just generally tricky for me? I find myself picking up languages very easily but the grammar just doesn't stick, even in English I always get marked down for punctuation and run on sentences etc.

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Grammar in Foreign Languages

Postby Tom fod » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:16 am

karip1 wrote:Okay is this an issue related to dyspraxia or just generally tricky for me? I find myself picking up languages very easily but the grammar just doesn't stick, even in English I always get marked down for punctuation and run on sentences etc.

Regrettably I don't think it's not possible to provide a definitive answer to this. Yes short term/working memory deficits, which are common to dyspraxia could be in play, and these no doubt could makie things more tricky. I believe it is fair to say, this is not a difficulty that is exclusive to us.

Try to look for ways to adapt your learning and focus on strategies that will help you improve.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Yossarian
Getting settled in

Postby Yossarian » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:49 pm

I think that this is just a matter of aptitude. I have the opposite problem. I have little difficulty with grammar, but I struggle to pick up languages. My wife is bilingual and I have been trying to learn her native language with little or no success.

Jenny3142
New member - welcome them!

Postby Jenny3142 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:50 am

Learning a foreign language is doable. In some ways I consider myself lucky to have had German as a special interest due to my Aspergers. I literally didn´t shut up about it for years :D
Unfortunately I was unable to replicate the same level of interest for french, spanish or swedish, so I´m a firm believer that you need to have a certain amount of enthusiasm to learn a foreign language.
I applied the same way of learning a computer language to German. ie. learning the syntax first (grammar) and then the various functions (vocabulary).
Of course not everyone one learns the same way.

Return to “Studying”