Going from a manual to an auto

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

rhyds
Regular Poster

Going from a manual to an auto

Post by rhyds »

Does anyone else have problems when they have a go in an automatic car when they're used to a manual? Over the weekend I had a go in a friend's 1970s automatic Austin Princess (the interior was VERY orange velour....) and I couldn't help going for a clutch pedal that wasn't there, causing me to almost go through the windcreen! Also, I would forget to take the handbrake off because the flow of clutch-gear-handbrake-clutch-throttle became brake-gear-handbrake-throttle. I would probably get used to it over time, but I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem?
Pooky
Administrator

Re: Going from a manual to an auto

Post by Pooky »

I try and wedge my leg to prevent me from moving it easily. If the handbrake is catching you out you could always just use park mode, and only apply the handbrake at the start and end of the journey.
The Lurker
Power poster

Post by The Lurker »

I think that would be the case for everyone used to driving a manual car, not just dyspraxics :)
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

Sorry I have no advice to give.... as I don't trust myself to drive an automatic!
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I did have a go at reversing a car, and trailer, as my friend wasn't confident enough to do it, even though she had me in the back seat pointing which way to turn the wheel, and she didn't want to touch the wing mirrors. (that was fun!!)

I can instruct someone how to reverse a trailer, but actually doing it, and thinking about having to turn the wheel the opposit way, plus it was on a 10degree up hill reverse, not only that it was my first time driving a total automatic, so forgetting that the brake is the clutch, and brake, and the main braking system.

so sort of sat there trying to remember not only which way to turn the wheel, remembering there is no clutch, and wondering why the car won't roll forward when I wanted it to, instead of having to select 1st or sonething.

let's just say it was interesting to say the least, I did get the trailer parked right on the 3rd attempt, as following the kerb, and the fact the trailer tends to turn more, or less, unless the car is near enough straight with the trailer,

but lets just say I was having to use the brake a lot to let other drivers go around me as they were too impatient, even though it did only take a few minutes, and most of that was letting impatient drivers pass me.

but apart from that, then no, I wouldn't like to drive an automatic, or even semi-automatic. (semi-auto is with the clutch, but a 4 way gearstick a bit like a joystick). it would do my crust if I had to drive an automatic, especially when I paid to pass a manual driving test.

even though it is supposed to be cheaper to run, but the sudden loss of power when you need it most, or the loss of a clutch pedal, or not knowing with a feel on which gear your in, would drive me around the bend, and the company could have just started out, and put a swear box in the truck, they would be multi-millionaires by the end of me doing a 9 hour drive with an automatic.

that is how much I hate automatic's
phoena
Getting settled in

Post by phoena »

Yes i experienced that my car is manual and i switch to automatic, because i get pissed of driving automated car I go back to manual....