Sense of direction

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ruth
Power poster

Re: Sense of direction

Post by Ruth »

I now have a marvelous app inmy I phone which is really easy to use and tell sme exactly where I am and how to get to where I want to go....and I have a sat nav that talks to me when I'm driving...the wonders of modern technology.

Haven't been lost for a while! :banana:
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I wouldn't rely too much on one device or the other though, as I have a sat nav that wants a divorce!! and a mobile that gets lost when it reaches a tree!! so neither of them would be much use in an over grown forrestry!!

but the sat nav would have a bad head, as it says bare left, then it says re-calculating, as it doesn't count the country lane as a right turn, the road bares left, and the country lane is more or less straight on, but classed as a right turn because it isn't supposed to carry anything larger than mini-buses due to a hump back bridge, and a nasty sharp left bend under the railway tracks, even though 90% of the traffic use it rather than down the main road to get home from work or whatever.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I'm not too bad at navigation, but I've had my moments like driving somewhere new and getting lost at the last moment. Stopping to ask for directions only to be told.. "Yeah, it's just there mate." about 20 metres from where I've stopped!

In general I don't like asking for directions because assuming I've understood them I've usually forgotten them by the time I've pulled away. So I tend to plan quite throughly in advance of travelling anywhere new usually using googlemaps and street view and investigating carparks or anything relevant. "Fail to plan = plan to fail"

Sat nav is good, I have tom-tom on my iPhone, I only really use it in France or somewhere I've never been but it's nice to have a tool which helps you get out of trouble. Also GPS on maps is brilliant if you're walking somewhere and need a little extra help gaining your bearings. It does kill the battery a little bit though.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
tara
Getting settled in

Post by tara »

what sense of direction :p

I dont have one lol!!

tara
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

I use a gps and cross reference it to a map. Tends to work well, but I find it hard to take info from a map and apply it to the terrain.
If only OS did google street view on their paper maps…
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Maybe if you were to tap it with your wand and say "I solemnly swear, I'm up to no good"

Oh wait... Wrong map.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
LGC2108
Regular Poster

Post by LGC2108 »

I struggle with maps, and often can't work out directions.