I hate public transport

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

sheppeyescapee
Power poster

I hate public transport

Post by sheppeyescapee »

I hate Bristol public transport. Crowded, unreliable, expensive and tiring.

On friday nights the last couple of weeks I have been going to Clifton to services at the jewish community centre followed by shabbos meals at the Rabbis house.

Getting back from Clifton is an absolute nightmare. I either have to pay £8-£9 for a cab back to Temple Meads station or wait for busses that are incredibly unreliable. Last night I was supposed to get the bus to Temple Meads, but the bus never turned up, I ended up having to get a cab because of it.

I rushed to get to the train station in time only to find that the train was running 1hr late! Because the train was running late I missed the last connecting train from Newport to Gloucester. The train company ended up having to pay for me to get a cab from Newport to Gloucester.

Total time taken to get from Clifton to Home was 4hrs! Jeez. Thanks for nothing First Group. Both your trains and buses suck. The First buses can't blame this on traffic as it was late at night and there was no traffic at all.
robyn

Post by robyn »

I have the same problem up here. it takes 15 mins for my boyf to drive me to mhy work, but 1 1/2 hrs to get two buses in. at xmas and weekends this is so much worse, and they are allways soooo crowded and the bus drivers are allways rude. a taxi from town to mine is a tener, total rip off
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

Thus I really, really miss my driving licence oh well, just 2 years and 363 days to go......

Kirsty.......
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

I hate it, when it's late and I need to be at work. Then when I don't need to be someone, it's on time!
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I know it is a total rip off for public transport, to catch a bus to my friends, and back to town is nearly the same price as a taxi 1 way.

but got to say, what I have seen the buses leave town on time, (but doesn't mean they leave the bus stops on time!) like my friends stag night, I asked the bus driver what time the last bus was, and made sure I left and got to the bus stop 10 minutes earlier than the bus driver said.

and seen him drive passed as I was getting to the bus stop. I think it is why they taken all the bus timetables out of the bus stops is too many people complaining that they never get to catch the buses, as they are never on time!

that night I ended up having to walk the 4.5 - 5 miles home, as I didn't have enough for a taxi. that night I knew why I would much rather have a car, and not drink.
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

My dad's a bus driver and so I cant say too much against them, the buses round here are pretty reliable and due to my Epilepsy I get free bus transport anyway.

Ive got 3 years to get my licence back (had another fit yesterday) AND I HATE NOT HAVING THE FREEDOM FROM MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kirsty
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Post by sheppeyescapee »

gherkin001 wrote:My dad's a bus driver and so I cant say too much against them, the buses round here are pretty reliable and due to my Epilepsy I get free bus transport anyway.

Ive got 3 years to get my licence back (had another fit yesterday) AND I HATE NOT HAVING THE FREEDOM FROM MY CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kirsty
Y'see I recently paid £125 for my bus pass for the term as well as £530 for my train fare. For that much money you would expect things to run on time, I can understand it if it was occasionally that they ran late, but all the time, no way!

The buses on the other hand that don't even bother to turn up, now that is fun. Complete lack of information, at least with trains you kind of know what is going on.

Both the bus and the train were first group, so they have had £650 from me and are providing a sub par service in return. I'm thinking of making a complaint.
robyn

Post by robyn »

but if we payed for driving lessons, a car, road tax, insurance, mots, services, repairs, tiers, petrol, car washes etc etc itd cost us the same
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Post by sheppeyescapee »

robyn wrote:but if we payed for driving lessons, a car, road tax, insurance, mots, services, repairs, tiers, petrol, car washes etc etc itd cost us the same
Meh I know that. I'm just venting frustration. Paying a bit much to be going 35mins down the road. [-(
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

It took me an hour and 27 minutes for my bus to get from uni to my stop today, (this is now a regular thing which is why i always look what time i get on). Its supposed to take 15-20 minutes at the most.... But the traffis started getting so bad in an afternoon that the side of the road going out from town (and uni) just stands there still. Every ten minutes or so you'll move an inch lol.

Grr transport annoys me. (i actually spent more time on the bus than in lectures today and i don't even live *that* far away from uni. - like i guess i could walk it but would take a while). *grumble grumble*
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

Lucy_Rush wrote:It took me an hour and 27 minutes for my bus to get from uni to my stop today, (this is now a regular thing which is why i always look what time i get on). Its supposed to take 15-20 minutes at the most.... But the traffis started getting so bad in an afternoon that the side of the road going out from town (and uni) just stands there still. Every ten minutes or so you'll move an inch lol.

Grr transport annoys me. (i actually spent more time on the bus than in lectures today and i don't even live *that* far away from uni. - like i guess i could walk it but would take a while). *grumble grumble*
A while, but could that still be quicker than the bus?
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

Well, my university is 4 miles away. so not sure how long that would take to walk. although it doesnt seem that far when i'm on the bus i've never tried walking it before. after it taking me 1hr45 yesterday, because of road works they are doing near my bus stop, and general traffic jams, i have started getting the bus untill it gets stuck in traffic then getting off quite a bit earlier than i usually do and just walking the rest of the way. this seemed to be alright and got me back quicker. :)
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

Well, thats probably the way to do it then!

Kirsty
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Re: I hate public transport

Post by sheppeyescapee »

I thought I would come back to this post as my hate for public transport still is there. Although hate has turned into dread, I absolutely dread getting on public transport especially buses. As I have so many sensory problems getting on a cramped train/bus with no chance of movement, normally stuck between people who seem to bathe in perfume/aftershave, shouting down mobile phones and generally being obnoxious it kind of makes me sick and makes my brain completely shutdown (ack I hate the world meltdown). ](*,)
I am J, 24, husband, student, diagnosed AS and Dyspraxia.
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Re: I hate public transport

Post by Lucy_Rush »

The buses in liverpool went on strike a week or so ago. (well not all of them - just arriva ones (the only company my bus pass allows me to use), and i think just ones from a certain depot (the only ones i use)). No-one knew they were going on strike, and i (along with a lot of other people i imagine), was trying to get to an exam. I waited at the stop for 45 minutes before anyone even knew they were on strike! and because of having a free pass, i had no money on me! I was so annoyed. Some random person lent me money for a different company bus. Which i managed to cram onto after waiting a while longer (they were all packed from other people).

I was so annoyed. Luckily the uni let people who got to their exams up to an hour late to still have the full time they should have, and just added the time on at the end. I got home afterwards to an email from the uni, informing us that "there is a bus strike and students travelling to 10am exams will have to arrange other methods of transport". Although what use informing us of that at 10.30am is i'm not entirely sure. But since the uni couldnt have known about the strike either it wasnt their fault.

grr to buses!