How many driving tests?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

How many attempts did you need to pass your driving test?

27%
17%
20%
3%
7%
3%
7-9
10%
10+
3%
Tried then gave up
10%

Total votes: 30

Daniel
Administrator

How many driving tests?

Post by Daniel »

As requested, here's a poll to see how many attempts forum members needed to pass their driving test.
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

Thankyou x x
Snjstar
Regular Poster

Post by Snjstar »

Interesting to see the results.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I have voted for my car driving test, which was 1,

but haven't passed my 17 tonne wagon test, and I have done 2 so far #-o
but with money tight, and costs so expensive, then it isn't easy
The Lurker
Power poster

Post by The Lurker »

First time Driver
girlygirl333
Getting settled in

Re: How many driving tests?

Post by girlygirl333 »

3 times for the written and 3 for the behind the wheel. The only reason I passed the third time on the behind the wheel is the girl testing me said "Now don't think of this as a test, I want you to think of it like I'm a friend that needs a ride home" and that's exactly how she gave directions "ok you're going to need to turn right on this next street" etc (usually they say things like "take your upcoming right". Then I kinda got a get out jail free card with my parallel parking and 3 point turns. She had me do the 3-pt in an open lot and parallel on an empty curb. I've been driving for 19 yrs (geez that makes me feel old..lol) and I still can't parallel park..every once in a while I get it right..usually I end up giving up and just parking farther away and walking or waiting for someone to move :^\
becky
Getting settled in

Post by becky »

I have taken my test twice already and failed both times. However, I don't know if this is true for other people, but I failed because I panicked. The first time I tried to move off in third gear, and didn't realise what i was doing. The examiner had to tell me, and if they have to tell you how to drive... well you've just failed. I only got nine minors, so it was really annoying that I did something so silly and failed.

The second time... well I freaked out, didn't I? I took a panic attack IN THE MIDDLE OF THE TEST and that was me. Again the examiner had contributed it to nerves, two major faults, but each so silly and definitely down to nerves. I moved off with my left indicator still on and I stalled at lights, and instead of calming down and putting the car back into neutral, I instantly went for the ignition and then discovered I was in the wrong gear.

However, my mum suggested that I drive an automatic. My instructor disagrees. He has suggested getting a pill to calm me down the next time. And I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself, because driving would make life so much easier. I live in the middle of nowhere, having reccently went from living in Belfast to my mum's house 60 miles away. I don't have any friends that live near me, and so driving would not only give me independence, it would allow me to have some kind of social life.

My next one is coming up soon. Hope and pray that I get it!! Driver
Jen
Getting settled in

Post by Jen »

Sorry didn't read it proberly have had 5 tests fail all, last driving instructor told me to go away.
lofty
New member - welcome them!

Post by lofty »

i passed on my 8th test and cost alot of money been driving for over 10 yrs now
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I passed at the 10th attempt !!! My instructor would have given up.

I did not understand dyspraxia, especially when I undertook lessons. When I persisted with driving, I knew I was dyspraxic but I had a weak understanding.