The Underground

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

lubellasquee
Getting settled in

The Underground

Post by lubellasquee »

So, I’m going to central London in a few weeks with my boyfriend and his family to see a show, fun right?
Well it would be if I didn’t have to use the underground, I have an almost crippling fear of escalators to the point that I generally avoid going to London full stop and I look out for lifts or stairs in most shops.
I have been warned that I am not to panic in front of his niece, which I generally have little to no control over in that state. I have suggested stations that are closer to the theatre where I wouldn’t need to use an escalator however they have been vetoed. I wish I never said I’d go despite the fact I really wanted to see the play :(
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: The Underground

Post by Tom fod »

Sounds a bit silly and somewhat cruel to say don't have a panic then veto your suggestions of stations which you believe will enable you to avoid the escalators.
Did you have a past nightmare experience with one or have read or been told about a horrific incident?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
lubellasquee
Getting settled in

Post by lubellasquee »

I have always been a bit funny with them which kind of escalated (get it?) as time went on to the point I can’t even look at a picture of one. It hasn’t helped reading a story in a local paper about a lady falling to her death down an escalator when I was about 9 or 10. I have almost fallen down one a few years ago also.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Ha ha :evilb:

Fact it's moving probably doesn't help. I always hesitate a little when stepping on to a downwards one.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
lubellasquee
Getting settled in

Post by lubellasquee »

It terrifies me to no end, I constantly look at the tfl website for routes to avoid them, I only venture to the O2 and the Excel centre because they’re the only places that I know of that it isn’t necessary to use an escalator when getting the train. My foot is still janked and I’d still take the stairs over the escalators.
HelenJ
Getting settled in

Post by HelenJ »

I went on the Underground for the first time this year and it wasn't as bad as I thought. I also have a fear of escalators, but I downloaded a brilliant app called Station Master and it tells you all the facilities that each Underground station has (stairs, lifts, etc). Most Underground stations are being made more accessible now for disabled people so you should be ok.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

If I were you, I’d veto their veto.

Honestly.. how ridiculous. Fancy forbidding someone to panic? I’d return the compliment and forbid them to be a knob.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: