The Underground

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

lubellasquee
Getting settled in

The Underground

Post by lubellasquee » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:36 am

So, I’m going to central London in a few weeks with my boyfriend and his family to see a show, fun right?
Well it would be if I didn’t have to use the underground, I have an almost crippling fear of escalators to the point that I generally avoid going to London full stop and I look out for lifts or stairs in most shops.
I have been warned that I am not to panic in front of his niece, which I generally have little to no control over in that state. I have suggested stations that are closer to the theatre where I wouldn’t need to use an escalator however they have been vetoed. I wish I never said I’d go despite the fact I really wanted to see the play :(

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: The Underground

Post by Tom fod » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:53 pm

Sounds a bit silly and somewhat cruel to say don't have a panic then veto your suggestions of stations which you believe will enable you to avoid the escalators.
Did you have a past nightmare experience with one or have read or been told about a horrific incident?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

lubellasquee
Getting settled in

Post by lubellasquee » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:08 pm

I have always been a bit funny with them which kind of escalated (get it?) as time went on to the point I can’t even look at a picture of one. It hasn’t helped reading a story in a local paper about a lady falling to her death down an escalator when I was about 9 or 10. I have almost fallen down one a few years ago also.

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:24 pm

Ha ha :evilb:

Fact it's moving probably doesn't help. I always hesitate a little when stepping on to a downwards one.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

lubellasquee
Getting settled in

Post by lubellasquee » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:31 pm

It terrifies me to no end, I constantly look at the tfl website for routes to avoid them, I only venture to the O2 and the Excel centre because they’re the only places that I know of that it isn’t necessary to use an escalator when getting the train. My foot is still janked and I’d still take the stairs over the escalators.