Is it better to learn in manual car or automatic one

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lau26
New member - welcome them!

Is it better to learn in manual car or automatic one

Post by Lau26 »

Hi I’m wanting to start driving lessons again . I had some few years back in a manual car. I did enjoy them but sometimes I found it difficult . I’ve heard that people with dyspraxia should learn in automatic cars as it easier . What do you guys think ?
Lucy
Getting settled in

Re: Is it better to learn in manual car or automatic one

Post by Lucy »

Hi Lau,

In theory an automatic car is easier because of not having to change gears most of the time. Having said that, I learned in a manual car and am glad as it gives me the flexibility to buy a manual car if I want to. It did take me a long time to learn, and I didn't pass until my 3rd attempt (I think it was 3rd, might have been 4th...) but that was more related to my poor spatial awareness (cue: backing into a lamppost because I thought I still had a little space to go; being utterly incapable of figuring out how to reverse bay park and get within the lines) than to being in a manual car.

In general I'd say most of driving a manual or automatic car is pretty similar. I had your question before learning and decided to start manual and switch to automatic if I just wasn't managing with manual, and never needed to switch. So go with what you feel most comfortable for you, and remember you don't have to stick with your decision if you change your mind later, would be my advice.

Good luck!
lubellasquee
Getting settled in

Post by lubellasquee »

I think with manual cars you do get more choice of cars, I’m learning manual for this reason I have considered giving up and learning with an automatic car but I’d rather be able to have more of a choice and also many automatic cars are more expensive.
Lau26
New member - welcome them!

Post by Lau26 »

Hey thank you to you both for reply. Yeah after having a think and a lot of my friends are saying the same as you guys. So I’m definitely going to give manual lesson ago again.
lubellasquee
Getting settled in

Post by lubellasquee »

In my case, my dad suggested that I learn in a manual car because it would be easier to find a cheaper car and then you get the choice after