Theory test tips?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

BrightLights789
New member - welcome them!

Theory test tips?

Post by BrightLights789 »

Hi there!

Does anyone have any tips concerning theory tests? I'm finding that my short-term memory is so poor that I'm failing the test by 5 marks every time ](*,)
and its never the Hazard Perception test I fail (thankfully, I've always passed that part!), always the actual theory questions beforehand. I also struggle a bit with the scenario questions as I have a tendency to be quite analytical, but that may just be my personality and not the dyspraxia! Doesn't help that I also have Dyscalculia, which makes it worse.

Luckily, driving in itself isn't much of a problem (famous last words lol...), but I'm looking to sit my theory test again soon, as I'm sick of seeing job advertisements in my field with driving as an 'essential' criteria and I have a funny feeling it is forever going to be the 'norm' :(

Any tips would be very much appreciated!
Don't worry if Plan A fails... There are 25 more letters in the alphabet :banana:
ssuma

Re: Theory test tips?

Post by ssuma »

BrightLights789 wrote:Hi there!

Does anyone have any tips concerning theory tests? I'm finding that my short-term memory is so poor that I'm failing the test by 5 marks every time ](*,)
and its never the Hazard Perception test I fail (thankfully, I've always passed that part!), always the actual theory questions beforehand. I also struggle a bit with the scenario questions as I have a tendency to be quite analytical, but that may just be my personality and not the dyspraxia! Doesn't help that I also have Dyscalculia, which makes it worse.

Luckily, driving in itself isn't much of a problem (famous last words lol...), but I'm looking to sit my theory test again soon, as I'm sick of seeing job advertisements in my field with driving as an 'essential' criteria and I have a funny feeling it is forever going to be the 'norm' :(

Any tips would be very much appreciated!
How does the theory test works in the place you lived in? Is it a multiple choice test?

I passed all the written components of the driving test in one go here in Canada. Hence, unlike you, I didn't find the theory component too much of a problem. It was the actual driving that was a problem. It took me a few tries before I passed them.

Admittedly, I am familiar with taking tests and I just do what I always do when preparing for them. For one, I recommend studying everyday.Also, think of ways how questions and how would I expected to answer them. It also helps talking and listening to people who drives about their "horrendous" driving experience. You will be surprised how much you can learned.

For any subjects, when dealing with m/c tests, I always recommended answering every questions. Circle the ones that you are not so sure about it and go back to them only after you finished the test.

It is always good not to be too analytic. Most M/C tests questions meant to be straightforward and not tricked people. In most cases, I noticed the first answer I think of as being "correct" is usually the correct one.

Those are just tips based on my own exp and learning style but I hope it helps!
R1ch8rD
Getting settled in

Re: Theory test tips?

Post by R1ch8rD »

I've always had problems with exams, but the theory test is one I managed to flourish in.
I took the test in 1999 when you needed to get 30 out of 35 questions right to pass, and managed to score 35.
What I did was buy one of those books that has all the theory test questions in. The size of it does looks a bit daunting. But many of the questions in there are duplicates written in a slightly different way.

I went though though the book writing the answers (A,B,C,D) onto a sheet of paper. And at the end of each chapter checked the answers and made a list of the ones I got wrong.
After going though the book you'll just be left with a much shorter list of questions you got wrong, and these are the only ones you need to revise.

I hope this method helps. Best of luck