Has anyone tried a trike?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

ListingVictoria
New member - welcome them!

Has anyone tried a trike?

Post by ListingVictoria »

Hi everyone,

I have been learning to ride a bike for ages and it is just not happening. I have been to cycling lesson and have a patient friend who helps, and I went to a bike maintenance course today where I talked about my struggles in cycling. The tutor suggested trying a trike, has anyone else opted for this?
Tomtom
Regular Poster

Re: Has anyone tried a trike?

Post by Tomtom »

Probably not a good idea, but when I learned, my dad took me to the top of a slightly raised area in our local park and gave me a push down. I maintained my balance more and more over a long period of time until I could make it down without falling off, and I progressed from there :)
ListingVictoria
New member - welcome them!

Post by ListingVictoria »

Well done to you for your cycling! I'm 27 and have gone passed the "it's okay if I fall over" age I think! I have had, if memory serves, 11 breaks in various bones, mostly legs/ankles, and would like to avoid more!

I have been trying for about 2 years. I can get a bike moving and as long as it's flat and no other complications, but it takes such concentration and if you throw in anything else it's too much, like it's taking all my effort to balance and move my feet...I find it hard to brake because that involves my hands as well. I can drive (after 5 attempts) and was thinking if it's a trike I'm not worrying about balance like when I'm driving. I can try a trike out before buying it so I think I'll give it a go!
Tomtom
Regular Poster

Post by Tomtom »

I guess it would make sense to use a trike to get the relevant important movements (like braking) into your muscle memory, but I would suggest in a longer term to get used to the balance required for a bike. Bikes are much more agile than a tricycle could be, and they aren't as wide, so they can fit through tighter spaces. I've always liked to throw myself in the deep end with these kinds of things though. Probably not a great trait for a dyspraxic to be honest :Eek: