What other methods of transport have you learned to drive?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

sounds quite interesting Savv, but don't think I would want to wait the 4 hours or something while the boiler is being lit!! and at least you won't have to worry about steering!!

but from what I have experianced from train sims, then it is pretty hard as well, to keep the steam up, and the water lvl up!

good luck with it, and let us know how you get on.
SavV
Regular Poster

Post by SavV »

I'm starting with the easiest to learn to drive, Electrics. On the museums 1500Volt DC overhead system. After that I'll probably shift to steam, as steamers be the locos I like most...all those moving bits...

Cheers
Hang on..... this isn't my classroom...
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Wow, that would be the way to travel. I'm impressed a private line is electrified - since over here a lot of main lines aren't!

The Hogwarts Express lives around these parts.
rhyds
Regular Poster

Post by rhyds »

SavV wrote:I'm starting with the easiest to learn to drive, Electrics. On the museums 1500Volt DC overhead system. After that I'll probably shift to steam, as steamers be the locos I like most...all those moving bits...

Cheers
The sheer noise and power of a steam loco is amazing to behold

Still nowt more than a very complex kettle though... ;)
SavV
Regular Poster

Post by SavV »

The Museum, Ferrymead Railway, believes it is the only preservation line in the world to run the three main types of traction, steam, diesel and electric. The museum now has the only section of electrified track in the south island, which was the original home of electric traction. I'll agree with the sentiment that steamers are a giant kettle....a little more difficult to control though. I know as I've had the chance to fire one, drive one, and ride on the footplate of one at speed on a mainline excursion...

Cheers!
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

Well i can ride a bike, tandem, and tandem-trike.

I enjoy kayaking although i'm far too unfit to ever be any good at that but i enjoy slow/leisurly going up and down canals etc).

And apart from that, i did once win a spacehopper race - if that counts? :D
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

I have a bike. I've learned to ride the train when I go to Chicago. That's about it. We don't have much public trasportation except in cities so everybody has to learn to drive here in the states unless you live in a city or you just always ride your bike.
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

think I should give an up-date to my driving, I went to the driving school last Friday, as I was in Cardiff anyway, and finally changed my address with them, as I haven't been to Cardiff in 18 months,

and found out the theory test is now nearly double the amount of questions, and for a large goods, then the questions section is 51/60 questions, but costs twice the price on taking the theory test.

and haven't got enough money saved by 1/2 for 3 days intensive training, and the 2 tests, so looks like I won't be doing it for at least another 2 years :( unless I win the lottery #-o
SavV
Regular Poster

Re: What other methods of transport have you learned to drive?

Post by SavV »

*BUMP* He says, moving this old thread up. Thought I'd let you all know I've been passed to drive diesel railcars now and am in full-swing of steam loco driver and firemans courses. Proving to be quite a challenge actually as I keep forgetting what certain controls are for, but as long as I dont forget to put the water in its all good :P

Cheers