GPS for my poor sense of direction?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

lightdys
Getting settled in

GPS for my poor sense of direction?

Post by lightdys »

Hello :D

Because of my dyspraxia ,I'm can't to go out without be accompagnied by another personn. Indeed, my sense of direction is too poor: I'm lost when I go too far of my house.
So, I can't take the bus, I can't drive, I can't go where I want. I rely on my mum to take me anywhere. ](*,)

Soemone have the same problems? Are you solutions and tips? Do you think a GPS could help me? And what type of GPS? Someone in this forum are succeded to resolve this problems thanks to a GPS ?

Thanks for your help , and sorry for my probable grammar mistakes : I'm French and I have difficulty to speak English ! :grin:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Tom fod on Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Amended for sake of clarity
lightdys
Getting settled in

Re: GP for my poor sens of direction?

Post by lightdys »

Sorry, I wanted to say a GPS ! :whistle: It's a stupid mistake !

So, do you think a GPS could you help me? Someone in this forum have succeded to resolve his problem of sens of direction thanks to a GPS ?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: GPS for my poor sense of direction?

Post by Tom fod »

Welcome Lightdys . .or should that be Bievnenue

Votre Anglais est supérieur a mon Francais . . .so I'll go back to English

You're not the only person to struggle with this difficulty and this recent thread may be of interest.
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... =11&t=4028

I don't know what help might be available in France. Some smart phones and tablets have a GPS function but not sure how easy they are to use. Suspect the same would be true for dedicated GPS devices like Magellan (I'm sure there are other makes/models too).

My sense of direction is not always that great but I guess I have less fear of being lost and that I'll find my way back eventually. Also as a man I would be reluctant to admit I was lost by asking for help/directions (Je suis un homme stupide! 8-). I hope other people have some more useful knowledge/experience/ suggestions than me.

When you're logged in in you can click on edit to change posts you've already written.

Abientot
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

It may be a long shot but have you tried the navigation system on a smart phone or a small sat nav. Before I got mine I once took over an hour to complete a ten minute journey
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

oops just realised this conversation was about global positioning systems not general practitioners doh please forgive last two posts!
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hezan wrote:http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... pass-Belt/

This might sound like a very high tech solution, but it's actually fairly easy to do (get a friend to help you maybe). I know someone who made one, and he says after a while it's like a sixth sense. He intuitively knows where north is all the time !

Health Warning
Interesting but looks a bit like an instrument of torture or something that might unintentionally scare passers by and cause a face to face confrontation with armed police!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)