Car Insurance? Higher probability of accidents?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

freida74
Getting settled in

Car Insurance? Higher probability of accidents?

Post by freida74 »

Hi

I'm a newbie - not yet diagnosed and I'm a driver. I've had a couple of accidents - both at slow speed and being unable presumably to correctly assess the correct distance and speed and not react quick enough to stop before going into the back of the person in front.
I'm wondering if this is connected to my possibly being a dyspraxic?

So I'm not officially diagnosed - this is something that has literally been flagged up this week by my uni tutor due to problems with structuring my work.

What I'm wondering is - those who have had trouble learning to drive - have you had increased traffic accidents or incidents of loss of confidence because of these problems?

Also if this is an issue for dyspraxic drivers does it affect your insurance? Is it something that needs to be declared?
I'm wondering if getting diagnosed would actually be a hindrance rather than a benefit?
ALADDIN
Power poster

Re: Car Insurance? Higher probability of accidents?

Post by ALADDIN »

I think it is more likely to affect dyspraxic, but getting a diagnosis can explain your problems.

Your accidents maybe connected to your undiagnosed dyspraxia.

I would not advise telling the DVLA, because they will do thorough assessments, they make take away your licence.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Well, presumably you passed your driving test, so the DVLA assessed you as safe to drive?

Personally I think the fact that you've had accidents in the past and hence a reason to claim on your policy will have more of a bearing on your insurance costs than being Dyspraxic. I don't ever recall having to disclose Dyspraxia on a insurance policy and nor did I when I was learning to drive.

Certainly some aspects of Dyspraxia can make driving more difficult and stressful, but driving is as much about attitude and personal insight as it about ability. If you know you have weakness in spatial awareness and speed conception then you'll take care to pay a little more attention. Being Dyspraxic doesn't mean you're a bad driver, there are plenty of terrible drivers out there most of whom almost certainly are not Dyspraxic.

I now have about 13 years experience driving since I passed my test, and touch wood no accidents yet. The only claim I made was when my car was stolen. But I pretty much a decade of no claims bounds and in a situation when fully comp is usually as cheap if not cheaper than 3rd party.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
freida74
Getting settled in

Post by freida74 »

Thank you for your replies.

I do tend to drive with quite an excessive stopping gap and both my accidents (10 years apart) were when I was late, distracted and had someone literally slam on the brakes in front of me for no reason and I was unable to stop.

For me I think its not really my driving that is an issue. There are a few things that seem a bit more relevant but I'm just not sure! Having been a driver for over 20 years I guess having these 2 accidents doesn't make me a terrible driver - I guess having just had this flagged up as something I potentially have is making me read into a lot of things and examine things that have happened.

Glad to hear its not something that affects - or is even asked on insurance. Drivers should be judged on passing the test and their driving history! Really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

So your accidents were affected by circumstances and judgement. Which would be the same for anybody dyspraxia affected or not.

The way I see it, you've coped just fine, so aren't any more likely/unlikely to be involved in accidents than any other tom dick or harry.

Dyspraxia isn't really a medical condition which would prevent you from driving unless a Doctor assessed you as unfit, things like epilepsy, or being on certain medications such as anti-psychotics would have a much larger bearing. And remember people with quite significant physical disabilities can also drive.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: