Parking Ticket

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

ALADDIN
Power poster

Re: Parking Ticket

Post by ALADDIN »

I visited the Citizens Advice Bureau, I was told that I should link my dyspraxia (unable to process information), I have a greater chance, if I had no disability, I would have no chance. I was told to mention my ASD(aspergers traits).

:)
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I thought you were going to ignore it?

By appealing and giving them your name and address you are also admitting you parked there wrongfully. You were legitimately going about your business and it's questionable whether the signage was adequate/or sufficiently prominent.

I'm concerned. These private companies are vultures and might take any weakness you admit to as encouragement that they can push you into paying their penalty charge by rejecting your appeal out of hand.

What did CAB say about the enforceability issue?
Have the company got access to DVLA data? (doubtful).
Could you check with Trading Standards too.
Have you googled the 'Private Companies name + your town' to see if there is anything to be found that you can use to help guide you in handling your case.

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I trust the Citizens Advice Bureau.

They say I have to appeal within 14 days. The company is UK Car Park Management

They have access to the DVLA. I can win at the Independent Appeal Service.

I will see them again, if I lose at the first stage.

If I leave it, I will get letters etc.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I hope your appeal proves successful. Have you heard anything back yet? (mind you it is Easter weekend.)

A lot of the thrust of strategies for appeals seem to be based on the fact that an individual breach could not have caused the degree of inconvenience to warrant any fine, let alone one of £60.

Equally you were going about legitimate business and it is they who were unreasonably impeding your right to pursue that by their unreasonable ticketing.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

yeah I had one ticket the one day many years ago, as taken family to Cardiff, and parked in a car park, couldn't see any signs for Pay here, so got a parking ticket, as in a rush to get to the Courts. but if you can appeal do so, as think it is criminal for the charges, when it is only really change addressee on the letters.

I did pay it, but be careful as have seen a traffic warden program on tv, whereby the charge was like £80, and they get stopped, and have to pay £500, or get the car taken away by the wardens, not sure how long after the offenses were. but Bailiffs can charge what they want if the fine is unpaid. not to scare you or anything.

but yeah parking with Dyspraxia should be excluded. as I don't know how long I have been parked somewhere, ok so most of the time is like pop out to the shop, but can easily spend more than an hour in one shop if looking for something.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

So for the last week I have had the headache that a private parking company who were given the right to patrol the area around my flats have been sticking PCNs all over a vehicle parked in my allocated private bay. The vehicle is parked there with my consent and tbh I'm just as cross with the management company who look after the development where I live as they chose to employ these cowboys and think they are absolved of any responsibility.

These companies should be outlawed as they use legalistic language to frighten people into paying up for fear they will be taken to court. It really makes my blood boil!

The appeals service appears just as dodgy as it states that the PPC has to consent to a claim going to arbitration.

Update:

This was a nightmare from beginning to end but we won after about six weeks!
Afterome detailed research by myself and support from a friend and some very strongly worded* emails I managed to get the management company who look after the development I live on to read the parking company the riot act so that they backed down and cancelled the PCNs.

* not cuss words but believe me quite a few were uttered!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I got slapped with a parking ticket a few months back and boy was I spitting feathers about it.

To be honest, I really couldn't use my Dyspraxia as any kind of mitigating circumstances as I tend to be quite methodical, strategic and on the ball when it comes to car parks.

This time though I got caught out. It was one of these car parks where the first two hours are free but you still have to put a ticket on the car (you get this by simply pressing the button on the machine without putting money in). Alls well and good but we were going to need more than those two hours so shortly before the end of the first two hours I put a couple of pounds in the machine to buy a new ticket.

Unfortunately (and I was unaware of this at the time as I did not check) the machine did not take both of my coins and only printed a ticket for half of the time I thought I had paid for. Again I had not checked.

As far as I knew we had paid for 3 hours... so I was quite frankly shocked to find a big yellow fine notice on my windscreen when we returned some two and a half hours later comfortably within the 3 hours our coins should have provided for.

Of course... this kind of carpark is constantly monitored as obviously it's a big money spinner for them. I knew exactly what must have gone wrong but had absolutely no way of proving it. Although tempted... I did not contest the fine even though I suspect the machines are deliberately unreliable in a low attempt to catch out the unaware.

I think it's scandalous that they can demand fines of between 50-100 for what only loses them a potential fiver at most. This was actually challenged in court once.. but outrageously the judge deemed it fair. Bet he took a nice big fat back hander.

I'm a bit more wary when paying for parking now... we make damn sure the machine takes the full payment, check the printed ticket, take a photo off it on my dashboard and then set a time on my phone just in bloody case :grin:
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: