Decided to learn to drive ... any tips ?

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Decided to learn to drive ... any tips ?

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Hello all,

I've decided that 2014 is going to be the year where I finally try and learn to drive (I think its high time at 30 even if I'm not looking forward to it :) ).
I have poor spatial awareness and fine motor control so I'm kinda terrified at the prospect but I've gotta give it a go, I've had enough of relying on friends and public transport.
Anyone got any good tips/tricks that might help ? Thanks in advance.
Jim
Super poster

Re: Decided to learn to drive ... any tips ?

Post by Jim »

You could look into if there are any driving schools near you which offer simulation training before you move on to the road for real.

This might give you a feel for the kind of physical actions you'll need to master and an opportunity to assess and hone your fine motor-control in a risk free environment.

Or if possible, if you have a relative or friend with access to a place where there is minimal or no traffic at all you could learn the basic controls of a car.

If you can arrange it, I'd also recommend you stick with small cars. Driving a small car (e.g. Ford Fiesta) means there is less car to be aware of and the better view you'll have of road the around you.

===

When I started learning to drive eons ago, the very first time I drove a car was when my sister had given me permission to use her car, and her boyfriend was to be my "instructor". We picked a location which was off road (but tarmacked) and a time when it was likely to be at it's quietest.

My aim was basically to master the controls of the vehicle, i.e. the pedals, finding the clutch biting point, changing gear, steering and operating the pedals smoothly.

And here's a little anecdote for you.. I almost crashed into a tree seconds into my "lesson". I was so determined not to stall the car that I put too much of my concentration into the clutch control and I didn't notice that the car was parked with the wheels at an angle. Well, I didn't stall. But I was completely take by surprise as the car on full steering lock immediately left the tarmac and headed for thick woodland. ](*,) #-o

Luckily and somewhat hamfisitedly I managed to stamp one of my overly large boots onto the brake pedal just in time. We didn't hit anything, no one was hurt and mercifully I didn't damage my sister's car :blush:

Astonishingly and thankfully this didn't phase my sister's boyfriend at all, and having got the car out of the woods for me he coerced me back into the drivers seat albeit this time with the wheels pointing forwards. Thanks to that calm support I quickly bounced back, and I so got comfortable with the controls of a car in a pressure free and relatively low risk setting.

I'm glad we did this. Because on my first actual lesson on the real road with a full time instructor I didn't need to think too much about the physical control of the car and was able to put more concentration on the real issue of driving.. identifying hazards and reacting accordingly.

The biggest thing I learnt from my sister's boyfriend (apart from checking the steering lock before pulling away) was to be smooth with the controls. To this day I'm actually one of the smoothest drivers I know.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Thanks for that, Ill see if I can find any friends or relatives who are willing to give me a shot at driving their car.
I can only hope my driving in instructor is as calm as your sisters boy friend :) .
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

This is probably too late but before I finally passed I spent a lot of time on an arcade driving game, it had a steering wheel and accelerator peddle I think that really helped as I gadget failed 4 tests up to that point passed 6th time in the end!
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

:bumps:

Driver

:ghug:

Congratulations!
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
yetanotherusername
New member - welcome them!

Post by yetanotherusername »

I am terrified about learning to drive, it took me a long time to master a pushbike. I prefer it to walking now though.
If you get like the jittery thing, I mean I do is like some part of my body has to be in constant motion, what I found with cycling however is I can kinda push it away from my wrists and just let my arms or legs jitter a bit. I suppose this could apply to driving a car as well.