traffic cops

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Lumic
Power poster

traffic cops

Post by Lumic »

did any one see that programe tonight (thurs) called traffic cops was on BBC 1 at 8pm

well aparently they ( the police) have this nbew road side test to spot drugs its called the imparement test and some of the things you have to do to prove that you are not under the influence are things like following instructions, pointing to the tip of your nose with eyes shut, walking heel to toe on a line with out wobbling, standing on one leg, perception of time - counting in head 30 secs whiklst being timed etc

now i dont use drugs so i thought id be ok at it ( not that i cxan drive yet but seriously thinking not a good idea now) but jus for a laugh i tryed these couple of tests, i fell over trying to balance, i wobbled like hell on the walking one, touching the tip of my nose i near poked my eyes out, follosing instructions am pants at at the best of times and i reckon the 30 sec test id fail miserably cos i have no sense of time

so does this mean if i ever learn how to drive and get pulled over for some reason and they do this test on me id obviously fail does that mean theyd arrest me for influence of drugs.

i cant do these balance, co-ordination things as i have dyspraxia and ADD

hmmmmm not such a good test me thinks
my aviator reminds me not to do what i always do
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I'd wondered that about the 'walk the line' test that was used before the breathalyser came in. Even at the best of times I'd be pushed to do a good job of that, but the shock of being pulled over would likely make me shake and wobble as if I've just had 10 pints. I didn't catch this evening's programme but it doesn't sound as much like a 'trap the dyspraxic' as much as find the druggie.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

the walking in a straight line, then think they did have it here before the breathalizer, but from what I have seen on the american cop shows, then they have still been doing it after the breathalizer.

I think what they are looking for is the people taking 1 step forward, 1 step to the side, and 2 steps to the other side. and 3 back type of thing, not someone that can keep a near enough straight line. and still walk forward.

if any of us do get found, and taken to the police station, I am sure the government will hear about it! and not in a nice way, we will interrigate them!!

give them a pair of blury glasses, and get them to do the tests!!
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Would be a sure-fire way of increasing awareness of dyspraxia. It's the sort of story that national media loves.
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

See you down at the police station then... I'll bring the camera
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Bit difficult since I don't drive yet. Any other volunteers?
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

If I drive, it shouldn't be too difficult for us to get arrested.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

no panic, I have held a clean uk licence for over 3 years! (it went through the washine machine last week), so I know it is clean!!!!!
jme
Regular Poster

Post by jme »

Maybe people should just go up to the traffic cops if they want to be diagnosed for dyspraxia. is it covered by the NHS? :-k

just add a reflex test and it is basically a full neurological assessment.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."

"Normal refers to someone who hasn’t had enough tests!"
gomababe
Regular Poster

Post by gomababe »

I've always said that if I ever get poulled over whilst I'm sober I'll fail these tests, do when Im totally plastered and I'll manage it no problem XP, not that I drive yet, just seeing the funny side of the situation. But yeah that's basically a full neurological assessment for free and a night in the cells until they discover you're *not* under the influence *giggles insanely*
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I wonder if the other cops would laugh after though, at the ones that pull use over, and yeah it is a lot cheaper for the government as well to get us pulled over and tested, rather than pay for us to have medical assessments!!!!!!

I wonder if we get to declare it before the copper does the test! like anything that you say will be held up against you in a court of law!

not a good idea to ask them how their day has been, and if they want a laugh!!!

probably come out as this person was trying to be funny with me, so I done the check, and they failed as much as someone on drug, so I taken him/her to the nick, only to find out some 24 hours later that they person was actually being genuine!!!!
Esioul
Power poster

Post by Esioul »

When we apply for driver's liscences, do we have to declare we have dyspraxia?
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I don't think we have to, as it is our choice, because I didn't know about it when applying for my car licence.

but the gp did ask me if I felt I could cope with driving the truck, when I went for my medical before aquiring my lgv provisional.

which I knew about being dyspraxic about a month before my medical, so it only depends on if you see it as a total disability type of thing.

unlike something like a heart condition, we can stop a vehicle if we are lost, I wouldn't say lie about it.

so really I would say use the disability discrimination act in your favour. if you feel personally confident that you can cope, and it is something you want, then go for it
Pooky
Administrator

Post by Pooky »

I watched exactly the same programme and thought the same thing :)
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

There's always been an unoffical "speak to them for a bit and see if they sound drunk/high" test though. I'd imagine I could pass that as long as I didn't perform my usual tangent trick, like that time I was smuggling antelope.