Intensive driving courses

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

Daniel
Administrator

Intensive driving courses

Post by Daniel »

I'm thinking about having another bash at driving when I get home, especially if I'm going to spend any amount of time living with my parents in the sticks. I'm considering taking an intensive driving course to try to get it over and done with as quickly as possible. Has anyone else tried these? What have been your experiences?
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I didn't do the intensive training to learn to drive the car, as I felt I needed more time learing to drive with parent's.

but I did do a 5 day course while learning with a 17 tonne wagon, and that was from 7 am - 2 pm, which was me, and another driver taking it in turns doing an hour of driving each, then swapping,

I found that it did kill my brain off!! as well as other parts of my body!!

I would only suggest doing intensive training when you feel comfortable with driving the vehicle, and have confidence that you can learn in a week.

for me, then I wished I could book it as 2 hour lessons, but with the larger vehicles, they only do intensive training, so it wasn't the right thing, even though I had been a car driver for nearly 13 years. nearly 11 years when doing the intensive training on the wagon.

the only good advice I can give is probably best if you try 1 full day first, and then decide if you can cope with 5 days or whatever. and be prepared, as it can still take an extra day or so driving.

if you enjoy driving then you will find that you learn faster, but on the down side it will make you tired, as you are constantly concerntrating on the road all the time, so it is easier to make mistakes as well.

when learning with the car I was also finding an hour wasn't enough driving time, as it was flying past, but 3 hours was too much.

also a good suggestion is if you can after passing your car driving test speak to the driving instructor about motorway lessons, like I done 2 hours on the motorway about a week after passing my car driving test. as I felt that it would give me experiance, and feedback on where to watchout for when doing it by myself.

the driving instructor was pleased to see that I was thinking about that, as it was 2 weeks before my driving test, and he was looking how to do the rest of my pre-paid lessons to fit them in within 2 weeks.

so my advice is to book 1 full day, and see if you could do that for 5 days, and also go for motorway leaning lesson or two after passing your car driving test, as well with the instructor. sorry about the delay in writing this, I only cam across this chat today.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Thanks for the tips, Shadwell. I'm not at all sure I could manage a full day of driving lessons as normally my ability to concentrate and focus in such situations gives up after a while. I think I'll restart with normal lessons and see how we go.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

no problem, just to let you know what I thought of intensive training, it is very hard going, even when you are used to driving for a long time, learning a different vehicle is slightly easier.

and if it was a car, then I think it would have been a lot harder.

good luck with your learning any-way.