really dislike busses when they are busy

Learning to drive, driving, and using public transport

Moderator: Moderator Team

LuluBoo
Getting settled in

really dislike busses when they are busy

Post by LuluBoo »

I was getting a bus to the other side of Basildon last week to visit my boyfriend
It was full of school kids so I had to stand
as well as dodging crisps being thrown around the bus
I had to try and keep upright (very easy...not)
after one paricularly sharp turn I stacked it I managed to hold on with one hand but with supporting my body weight I really hurt myself
anybody else hate busy busses?
Shadwell

Re: really dislike busses when they are busy

Post by Shadwell »

Hi Lulu, yes I really hate buses, I tend not to catch them unless I really have to, kind of why I am glad I got a car, and go when I want. but usually try not to catch the buses I know are going to be busy, like when I had to, I would catch like the 2pm bus to my friends, and then the 11pm bus back to town. if it was 3pm, then I would usually walk over my friends place rather than catch a bus. and ofcourse that is when you can catch a bus, as the bus service is so un-predictable around wales at the time. now it is a guessing game on which way the bus is going to go!! but I just hate crowded areas full stop, like I will go shopping at 1am so that I am not around too many people.
nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye »

Hi there,
Yes I get quite stressed out on buses and trains! This forum has been a life-saver to me - I'm in my 40s now and I never understand why I struggled so much with everyday supposedly "easy" things. I often feel quite wobbly when on public transport, and I get anxious about getting up while the train/bus is still moving, and trying to remember to take everything with me, find the right stop, etc.
On a positive note, I had a great journey the other day going from Reading to Didcot. I love the way they now have those electronic things up telling you what stations are coming up, and also they actually says "make sure you'r ve got all your belongings with you." If I had a pound for everything I've lost in my life (glasses, scarves, umbrellas etc) I'd be really rich!! :)
The thing I find difficult as well is opening the train door - especially when you have to open the window first and then turn the handle, and even stepping out of the train on that little ledge!
The problem is I don't have a diagnosis - I'm sure none of this would come up in test conditions - there's nothing obviously "wrong" with how my hands and feet move, and I can type, knit, etc (although that's because I'm better at repetitive things). But when I have to do something quickly and spontaneously like get off a train, it's really hard.
I also have trouble understanding signs that are not written - so working out whether the little diagram means open or shut, on or off, I find hard. I like things actually written down for me to understand them.
The weird thing is that I did A-levels in English, French and German, and love words, can concentrate on TV/book at one time, but ask me to get my belongings together and get off a train and it's hard work! :D
This has always led to me lacking confidence and although I can do the written part of jobs well, or even repetitive practial things, I really struggle with doing several practical things at once, or even quite simple tasks especially under pressure. I can tell people are impatient with me and I get really stressed.

Sorry I have rambled on (as usual!) and wandered off the subject. I try not to let these things get me down, but it's very hard not to sometimes. I feel a bit silly when I can't do things most people seem to manage easily!
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I'm not particularly keen on buses full stop and will only ever use one if actually makes better sense to use one than any other mode of commuting to my destination.

But in many cases I'll quite happily walk instead.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
phil8715
New member - welcome them!

Post by phil8715 »

In Europe there are cars you can drive without a driving licence, I wish it was the case here I would gladly buy a car and drive it without having to use public transport especially during schools kicking out time where the kids are screaming, shouting throwing things around & playing their load music where think they're down the local disco.

On the whole I don't really mind using buses even when they're busy.
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I don't know what cars in Europe, but here in the UK then the only car romour has it that you could drive on a provisional was the old Robin Reliant, and it was supposedly because it only had forward gears, then you could drive it on a provisional, or so the story goes.

but for the passed 10 - 20 years then the Robins have become really rare
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I am not too fussed about busy public transport, when i was really having bad times then I just couldn't do it and at times now it can make me anxious so its not without its issues.

Buses when they are full of kids - no way I would just not get on it at all and if they are getting on I would just get off - I cant stand kids and anything to do with school at all - I am way passed that and its just ugh :-&

Fortunately I am a good cyclist a lot so I get places I need to my bike and usually I work whiten cycling distance and often the time it takes me to cycle to a place it would take more time on public transport.
The real Mr Potato Head
tara
Getting settled in

Post by tara »

I always try to sit at the front of the bus so I dont have others to look at.. As long as there not in front of me I'm fine.

Dont like noise on the bus or smells hate it... Have to have windows open.. Does my head in.. Often I get on open window and another so and so comes behind and closes it just as I have opened!!! Annoying!!!
Joe
New member - welcome them!

Post by Joe »

I spoke quite highly of buses... until I got my own car. Now I'd find it frustrating to go back to buses again.

A few years back, I worked for an agency and got the same bus in each day. There was a man who used to sit near to the front and sing folk songs as we travelled along. That made the journey much more enjoyable. :)
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

A few years back, I worked for an agency and got the same bus in each day. There was a man who used to sit near to the front and sing folk songs as we travelled along. That made the journey much more enjoyable. :)
Thats nice, makes the journey go ok I havent had that on a bus before - the only thing close to that is the random drunk guy trying to sing on a night buss. :lol:
The real Mr Potato Head
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

Shadwell wrote:I don't know what cars in Europe, but here in the UK then the only car romour has it that you could drive on a provisional was the old Robin Reliant, and it was supposedly because it only had forward gears, then you could drive it on a provisional, or so the story goes.

but for the passed 10 - 20 years then the Robins have become really rare
My grandad had a robin reliant a blue one :grin: I used to love going out with him in it even though they always smell strongly of petrol. To drive it you need a motorbike licence. Sadly my grandad died december 2011 so his robin was sold to someone who will display it in old car fairs.
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Yup I hate buses to which why I will always try to take the train even if it means transferring or a long walk.